A Permanent Bond?

Eleanor came home from her support group session with a smile on her face. Hal had driven her to the meeting, and asked if he could sit in. He was very quiet and attentive, occasionally murmuring, "I never thought of that." It looked like some of the Reality Check concepts were actually soaking in.

She was so pleased with Hal's response that she considered introducing him to Jared and Roseanne, but decided to wait rather than risk awkward questions. As far as Hal knew, Patrick was Sean and Susan's son. Disclosing anything more would be like opening a box of snakes.

Hal had been on his best behavior since he moved in. She had refrained from offering him a lease, but now, it seemed like a logical next step. He had paid her only eight hundred dollars of the three thousand he agreed to, but he had assured her that all would be well by the end of September. He just had a few loose ends to deal with. Whenever she showed interest in hearing what those loose ends might be, he would tell her not to bother her pretty little head about his problems. She told him that a problem shared is a problem halved, and that's what friends were for. When he said thank you for being my friend, it was all she could do to stay in her chair instead of snuggling up beside him on the couch and comforting the wounded little boy that was surely hiding deep inside Executive Hector and Homebody Hal.

Maybe Kelly was right. Maybe she was still in love with him. Maybe their thirteen years together had forged a permanent bond which prevented Hal from maintaining another romantic relationship. Her record was even worse than his: four brief flings with fish scooped out of the dating app pool. Only one of them had lasted long enough to include sex, which turned out to be so disappointing that she withdrew, saying that an old flame had unexpectedly reappeared and she was still irresistibly attached to her.

Now Hal was downstairs at his computer desk with a bottle of craft beer that he had purchased himself. Alcohol was not part of her grocery budget any more than coffee pods, although she would purchase the occasional bottle of dry sherry or Bailey's Irish cream with money from her non-existent entertainment budget. She was planning an early night and did not expect to see him again until morning. She considered going down and wishing him sweet dreams, but that seemed too obviously clingy. Better to keep up the appearance that their relationship was strictly business.

It was very quiet in the house. Too quiet. Pam had gone out, allegedly to a client consultation, and had not yet returned. Most of Kelly's things were still in her bedroom, but Kelly had kept her vow to avoid non-essential contact. She had returned twice to retrieve some of her possessions, but she had not disclosed where she was living. Eleanor had tried calling a few times, hoping to mend fences. Her calls went to voice mail and were never returned.

Even her unwanted feline friend Max had deserted her. He had taken an immediate liking to Hal and was sleeping on his bed. When Hal was not working on his computer, Max would lie on the keyboard or in Hal's chair. He even draped himself around Hal's neck when he was watching TV or playing video games, something he had never done with Eleanor. She was very put out by all these shows of favoritism. Didn't that ungrateful beast remember all she had done for him, feeding him that expensive food, cleaning his litter box, paying his medical bills, while Hal contributed absolutely nothing? When Hal moved out, she would do her best to ensure that Max moved out with him.

If Hal moved out. His stay was supposed to be temporary, but what if the bond between them was renewed?

She let herself fantasize. A declaration of love, a quiet wedding in the back yard of the ugly blue house were they found each other again, an extended honeymoon somewhere in Europe ...

Stop, Eleanor! Stop right now and FOCUS. There are real-life problems to deal with here and now.

She put her favourite relaxation CD, Classics for Unwinding,  on the turntable of her boom box and let the calming notes soak into her like soothing lotion. She had an MP3 player somewhere with multiple playlists, but she still preferred the old-fashioned technology.

She closed her eyes and took deeper and deeper breaths, clearing the garbage and debris from her mind.

Release. Release. I release all my stress, my apprehension, all my niggling worries. I embrace love and peace here and now.

I am strong and resourceful and growing every day.

I have wings of determination to lift me over every obstacle.

I am creative enough to face all challenges and devise solutions.

Her phone dinged, jarring her out of her comfortable cloud of positivity. As happened all too often, she had forgotten to mute it before starting her relaxation practice. She picked it up with a sigh.

A text from Susan.

Don't let Patrick into your house.