Turkey and Champagne

"Merry Christmas, Max," Eleanor said, holding out a sliver of turkey. She needed his full attention, and this was an infallible way to get it.

Max inhaled her offering and looked at her expectantly.

"Take it easy," Eleanor said. "There's plenty for both of us."

The twelve-pound turkey she had cooked had turned out perfectly – golden brown, moist and delicious. The cranberry stuffing and gravy were superb. The yams, glazed carrots and snow peas had exceeded her expectations. She had even made a spinach and strawberry salad. The only things she had purchased ready-made were the pecan pie and whipped cream. It was the best meal she had ever cooked, and there was no one to share it with except Max. She was so frustrated that she was ready to go out on the street and invite random passers-by to come in and admire her accomplishments.

Kelly was with Rolf and his family, as expected. Belle had every intention of spending Christmas at the Blue Elephant, but her father had summoned her to the family festivities at the last minute. Eleanor thought she should have been a little less eager for reconciliation – after all, her father had treated her abominably. However, she could hardly blame her for putting family first.

Jared, Roseanne and Patrick were skiing in Jasper. They had invited Eleanor to come along, even though she had never skied, assuring her that the amenities of the lodge would keep her relaxed and entertained while they were on the slopes. She had declined, regretfully, because she did not want to miss the Christmas party at the hospital. 

The Extended Care Christmas party was a gala event, as hospital parties go, with carolers and bell-ringers and gifts for everyone delivered by Santa and his elves. She had arrived early to help the patients with their hair and make-up, and had presented each one with a silk poinsettia corsage or boutonniere. Mrs. Willoughbee had charmed everyone with her rendition of "O Holy Night," accompanied by her granddaughter on a roll-up keyboard. Her voice was surprisingly strong and melodic, and she gave her whole heart to her singing. She was rewarded with tearful applause and some hugs. It was wonderful to see how much more outgoing she had become. She had recruited a "hall-stalking club" to accompany her on her daily exercise, and even persuaded some of the doctors to join in. When the festivities were over, Eileen Carmichael had taken Eleanor aside and commended her for the noticeable improvement in staff and patient morale. Eleanor wouldn't have missed that moment for the world. But that was past and gone, and this was Christmas day, and she was alone with Max and a twelve-pound turkey.

Susan was still being The Good Child in Gananoque, helping her parents adjust to their new lifestyle. When Eleanor invited Sean and the kids for dinner, he had accepted enthusiastically. Then his mother in Hinton had phoned on Christmas Eve, bemoaning her loneliness, and he had felt obligated to respond.

Pamina had also been delighted by Eleanor's invitation, but had cancelled when her parents volunteered to pay her air fare to spend Christmas with them. In desperation, Eleanor had surveyed the hospital staff to determine if anyone was in need of dinner and companionship, but everyone had plans.

"Well," Eleanor told Max, "at least we'll have enough left-overs for a week. I took pictures of everything and will brag about it on Facebook. I don't need to specify how many guests there were."

She gave Max one more piece of turkey and started stripping the carcass. She would boil the bones for turkey noodle soup, her favourite Boxing Day dinner. This was one dish she had no difficulty cooking. She expected a full house tomorrow: Kelly and Rolf, Andrzej Wienczyslaw, Sean and his brood, Belle (possibly with her mother), and four hospital staff members, including Eileen Carmichael. Even though today had been disappointing, tomorrow would make up for it.