Perfect in Every Way Except One

"Thank you for inviting us for dinner, Mr. W." Kelly said. She had taken to calling him that because W was quicker and easier to pronounce than Wienczyslaw,.

"For heaven's sake, call me Dziadek. That's Polish for Grandpa. My name is Andrzej, but most of my friends call me Andy."

Kelly paused awkwardly before responding this gracious invitation. Did he ask all young people to be his honorary grandchildren, or was this his way of inviting her into the family?

"Very well, Dziadek. The food was lovely, and so was the company."

"You're right about the food. After all, you cooked it."

"But not the petit fours! You must have made a special effort to get them."

"Delivery by a friend of mine, along with some other diabetic-unfriendly treats." Andrzej caught Rolf's eye. "Don't tell your mother."

"I don't know why she's so obsessed about refined carbs," Rolf said. "You don't even have diabetes."

"It's just her way of being a dutiful daughter. Nag, nag, nag. Her mother was the same way. She drove me crazy, but now I would give everything I have just to listen to her voice one more time, telling me that I absolutely must take off my shoes at the door, eat more vegetables, and hang up my bath towel after I use it."

They took their coffee to the living room and settled themselves comfortably, Andrzej in his recliner, Rolf and Kelly on the love seat, a discreet six inches apart.

"Dziadek, we have something to discuss with you," Rolf said.

The old man's eyes twinkled. "Are you going to tell me that you kids really, really like each other?"

"I don't think you need anyone to tell you that," Kelly giggled. She knew that she was glowing. Her most recent deep conversation with Rolf had transported her into seventh heaven. They were now engaged to be engaged. Even though she knew that many things could go wrong in eight years, she felt more secure than she had ever felt in a relationship. Rolf loved her and respected her hopes and wishes, and they would find compromises that worked for both of them.

Rolf squeezed Kelly's hand for reassurance. She squeezed back. "Dziadek," Rolf said, "I don't want to disappoint you, but I have decided I don't want to spend the rest of my life in the moving business."

His grandfather showed no sign of disappointment at all. "I'm glad you figured that out," he said. "You want to follow in your Uncle Herman's footsteps, don't you?"

"That's right. Dziadek. How did you know? I was afraid to tell anyone. Tata seemed so determined to build up the business and keep it in the family. He thought you would be heartbroken if any of us defected, especially after Herman and Sophia opted out."

"I told my children that they could choose freely what they wanted to do with their lives. I offered to pay for any educational path that they wished, or make them partners in the family business. I want my grandchildren to have the same freedom. I set up a trust fund for you when you were born. It might not pay for everything, but it will certainly get you through your undergrad degree."

Rolf beamed. "I have saved some money, and Uncle Herman will let me stay with him and help him with his clinic. I think everything will work out."

"And Kelly – what are your plans?"

"I'm going to stay here for the time being. My free-lance business is thriving, and I'm considering quitting my job at the hospital. I dropped out of university after my first year, and I want to finish what I started. I'm investigating options for part-time studies."