05.

05. Feeding Grounds

Emerson

SUNSETS WERE BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT AND EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL TO photograph when given the chance. I could get nice shots with my phone through the windows.

But two mornings since leaving Kansas Lawson stopped which gave me a chance to take pictures with my camera. Once more I was out around six with my camera in hand and breakfast in the other.

I made myself one of the plain bagels with some strawberry cream cheese and toasted the bagel before heading outside.

I sat in the grassy area of the truck stop Lawson had picked out for us to stay at. This one was a bit further out than the others one, but I didn't mind. Since we were in a more country area the sky is more open.

I had been so happy when mom showed me the camera. I always had an interest in photography but never did much because of how awkward it was with contacts and glasses on. But I didn't need them anymore.

Despite that I still had my old contacts and the glasses I've had since freshmen year hidden away in one of my bags. Mementos to an old life.

Even if we pretended that our life is still the same it's drastically changed. From being sacrificed to a cult to finding out about Radella being the mastermind behind it.

A frown crossed my face remembering her. The crazed look in her eyes, proclaiming we assaulted her sister and then shooting herself. Thinking of it made me uncomfortable. Especially knowing Gadreel. . . whatever the fuck he is manipulated it.

There is just no reason for him to show up at such a convenient time with all that knowledge.

"You're up early."

I turned around to see Reese standing a few feet away from me in a pair of his pajama pants that were hanging low on his hips. He hadn't bothered to put a shirt on.

"I wanted a good start and some good pictures." I told him and Reese nodded.

He came over and sat down next to me as I set my camera down. "No need to stop on my account. Continue, I won't disturb you." Reese smiled at me.

"I'm going to eat my bagel." I told him and Reese nodded.

I turned my attention to the bagel as Reese leaned back in the grass and took a glance around the truck stop, we were at.

"It's been crazy the last few weeks." Reese commented.

"It has, but things will begin to look up. We have no choice but to go forward." I told him.

Reese nodded as he settled down in the grass next to me. "I am excited to move on though. We're heading up on Cali here soon after we are done in Utah." Reese told me with a grin on his face.

"You're really excited about California." I commented.

Reese grinned. "I am. I'm fucking thrilled for California. I've always wanted to go there. I mean I've always wanted out of town, out of state. But California always seemed like fun and the scenery is nice and you like to take pictures." Reese smiled at me.

"You don't have to worry about me." I told him as I took a bite of my bagel.

"I do though. I have to worry about you and Lawson. All three of us are in this together and there isn't exactly a way out. We've been through a lot together and it's best we stick together. We've never needed each other more than now. Meaning I do look for nice places for you to take pictures at, as does Lawson." Reese smiled.

"You two don't have to constantly worry about me." I told him.

"We all worry about each other Em." Reese reminded me and I smiled.