Chapter 9

Just as Diluc was about to respond I heard the door creak open. 

I looked back to see two men in your casual Mondstadter's clothing. Then one of them scoffed and looked over to the other and loudly whispered, "What is that woman doing here?" He said it in a snarky tone as if he was better than me. 

"We're not open yet, leave," Diluc said right after the comment. 

"We're going, we're going!" The two men then left. I looked back at Diluc and he was looking at me as if he was trying to sympathize with me. 

"I'm sorry you went through that," he said. I blinked and looked at Diluc.

Nobody had ever talked to me about the hatred I faced just by being a Lawerence. I just got over the fact that people aren't going to like me, although there are a good few that have changed their minds. I hate those people but who knows, I might need them on my side. 

"It's fine." I let out a sigh and looked down at the counter. "I'm used to it." 

I heard something heavy come down on the counter and looked up, it was Diluc leaning over the counter. Now at eye level with me. 

"That isn't right. How could you just act like it isn't?!" Diluc raised his voice at me and I leaned back in my seat slightly. 

I gulped and chose my words carefully, the real reason I never confronted anyone was because it didn't matter if I did or not and it would make people see me differently from the image I created of myself. "They hate the Lawerence clan, if I said anything it wouldn't matter. There is a great many of people in Mondstadt that dislike me because of my last name if I just suddenly stood up for myself it wouldn't do much besides scare some people off." 

I crossed my arms and watched as Diluc slowly backed off. I once heard that when people get emotional over things like this that means they care. 

"I'm sorry. I overstepped, you're right but I just dislike it." Diluc furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head slightly as if disagreeing with the actions of the men just in here. 

I cracked a small smile, "You're just concerned for me is all. There's nothing to be sorry about and thank you for getting those guys out." I swear I saw Diluc's cheeks turn a shade of red for a millisecond, I may just be in the wrong mindset at the moment though. 

Diluc coughed into his gloved hand then made a small "uh" sound, he was thinking out loud I guess. 

"What we were talking about earlier... The wine tasting, I'd really like you to come. I will ensure that there won't be any problems. I will also reevaluate the guest list." Diluc then asked if there was anyone in specific that would be a problem and I listed off a few names of some old geezers I stole from, the younger ones I think would be able to hold it together because they don't have a great standing with everyone else to just leak information out of anger. 

"I'll make sure to be there then," I said, and with that Diluc and I parted ways.