Chapter Ten: Athena Kanzaki

After helping Damien build his deck, it was time to support their local team. And so, Nanu decides to take Chaeyu and Damien with him in a carpool with Azura and Alice and the other siblings in the house. Except for the youngest brother, Shigure, who had a choir festival that day. As they arrive at the tournament site, they notice that it wasn't just a stadium. It was a motor speedway! That's right! Today we're going to be exploring card games on motorcycles!!

"This place is massive...!" Damien says.

"Yup. Welcome to Motorist Duelway." Nanu says. "This is the stomping ground of 5Ds Duel School."

"5 Ds? That sounds like a bad porn mag." Chaeyu comments.

"I know right?" Alice chuckles to herself as they enter and take their seats.

"Since this will be your first exposure to Yugioh Damien, I'll go over the rules while we watch the matches." Nanu smiles.

"That would be great, thank you." Damien smiles.

While usually tournaments are typically done in best of 3, 5Ds did things a little differently. And since they had the home field, they could decided how they wanted to advance. And they called best of 1 to make things faster for their victory. But as it turns out, this will come back to bite them.

"Welcome, one and all! It's time for regional tournament match between 5Ds Duel School and Gamindustri Duel Academy!" The announcer and commentator for the match exclaims happily. "Representing our beloved 5Ds Duel School, it's our very own team leader, Harper Atland!"

Taking the stage on a white and cyan duel runner (the modified version of a motorcycle that has dueling capabilities). He smiles and waves to the crowd, who was cheering for him quite loudly.

"And representing Gamindustri Duel Academy! Athena Kanzaki, captain of the Gamindustri Duel Academy!" The man said, albeit less enthusiastically.

Athena also rides out on her own duel runner, which was purple with red accents on its curves. She rolls up to the starting line next to Harper, and prepares her Duel Disk.

"Let's make this a good game." Athena says.

"Yes, let's." The smaller male smiles.

"3! 2! 1!"

"Duel!"

As soon as the game starts, the two duelists rev their engines and kick into overdrive, driving at extremely fast speeds!

"How do they drive AND duel at the same time?!" Damien asked. "This seems really dangerous!"

"The duel runners are set into autopilot when in duel mode. So they can take their hands off the handles if they want to, and nothing bad will happen." Nanu says.

"What about the cards? Won't they blow away?" Chaeyu asked.

"The duel runners scan the participants decks when in the deck holders. The cards show up digitally on a screen built into the runner. So there's no need to hold your card and worry about them flying away." Alice adds.

"Wow... This technology is so advanced...!" Damien says, very excited.

After explaining everything about the duel runners, Harper's turn had passed. His deck was an Appliancer Link Deck, and he already built himself a pretty solid board. Unluckily for him, Athena can do that too.

"I draw!" Athena starts her turn. "To start things off, I'm going to activate 2 Continuous Spells that are going to severely damage my LP during my next Standby Phase. Yay for Masochism."

"Don't joke around. I know what those cards do!" Harper says. "You're not gonna get me."

"Fine, fine. First, I use the effect of Dark Contract with the Gate's effect to add a D/D (going by the Japanese way to say the names as D D D, individually, not Triple D or Double D) monster card to my hand from my deck. I add D/D Savant Galilei. And then, I use D/D Swirl Slime's effect from my hand to Fusion Summon a D/D/D monster to my field using itself and a D/D monster in my hand as material! Come forth, D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc!" The first summon to Athena's field. "Using Dark Contract with the Yamimakai, I can place a Pendulum Monster in my GY to my Pendulum Zone. Appear, D/D Savant Galilei! And then, I set the other scale with D/D Savant Kepler! I set a card face down. Now! I Pendulum Summon! Come forth, D/D/D Doom King Armageddon! And with that, I end my turn."