九 - 9

I lay in bed with a scowl on my face

I lay in bed with a scowl on my face. Ayato sat beside me, idly flipping through the pages of one of the novels he had picked from the shelf.

My stomach hurt like crazy. In an effort to remedy the pain, Ayato had poured some warm water onto a towel and wrapped it around in another one to put on my stomach. I felt another rush of pain coming and winced, feeling the agony rush through my body yet again.

"M'lady?" Ayato's voice was taut with concern.

"It's fine," I winced, "it's only like this the first day or so."

Ayato seemed quite sleepy. That sleepiness rid him of his normal frivolity; which was both a positive and a negative.

"You can get some rest," I told him, "I'll be fine on my own."

"Alright," he conceded a lot more willingly than I had expected, which must have meant he was extremely fatigued. "You take care until I wake up. Shout if you need anything, I'll wake up."

"Mm," I nodded, burying my face into my covers.

When he left, I tried to fall asleep but to no avail. My cramps hurt so bad that sleeping seemed almost impossible.

That's when I heard a faint voice from outside the door- no, they must have been talking in the yard out behind the house. I could tell by just the tone of their voice I wasn't supposed to hear what they were saying- I supposed I would listen in.

"Is she asleep, Mr. Kamisato?" a woman's voice inquired.

"Yes," he replied, his voice calm and polite, "pardon me for my appearance, Miss Sangonomiya."

"It does not bother me," the woman laughed, "sometimes I have days where I appear in disarray as well. So, what was it you wanted to discuss with me?"

"They're on the move again," Ayato lowered his voice but I could still hear what he was saying. I guess they hadn't realized how thin the walls were, "and they're coming to get her. I believe they plan to bribe her with some drug of some sort then force her to take it. You know the one that's been circling on the market lately, trying to find ingredients to create a drug to put soldiers into a coma and then kidnap them to sell them to their families for money."

"So you purposefully took her here so that you could confront the danger? I would have thought that you would prioritize her safety first."

"I'm sure that you are aware of all of the bombs that are scattered around the island," Sangonomiya sighed, "they will probably blow up the island if one of us does not take it."

"I will," Ayato cut in, "because they will only accept her or me taking it. I do not plan on putting her in danger."

"But you'd be put into a coma which you could potentially never wake up from again," Sangonomiya's voice was growing slightly louder in volume.