Chapter 4

|The Descendants Arc|

It was a demon with scale-like features, and horns that protruded beneath his coarse black hair. It also has its eyes on Etsumi as if she were measly prey. They were sharp and looked to have cut into her skin.

Chaos ensued, as the boy grabbed a knife attempting to run up and stab the thing. Except all the demon did was scoff as wings broke free from its back sending him back as he launched towards Etsumi grabbing her neck.

She squirmed, her breath becoming more strained. The demon laughed, as he lifted her in the air, a forked tongue licking his chops.

"I heard you were dangerous, clearly, those sources were too weak to finish the job." The demon grinned as Etsumi clawed at the demon's hands trying to free her neck from his grip as it soon began to sound as if she was breathing from a straw.

Until she saw a thin blade flash in front of her eyes, hitting the demon between his eyes and lodging itself there. The demon grimaced, as in Etsumi's blurred vision she spotted purple veins bleeding through his gray skin.

The words from her ancestor's letter rang in her head as she watched the demon's grip loosen his skin flaking off like old dried paint.

'The only way to kill a demon is by decapitating it or by sunlight...'

Yet, Etsumi felt her feet touch the ground, as she felt like she would cough up her lungs while she felt someone's presence behind her.

She could hardly process what happened besides someone holding an oxygen mask to her face.

"Breathe... there you go" it was the elder lady, Cho, Etsumi blinked as she found she was lying down on the ground. How she got there she wasn't quite sure, except that it must've been after the demon had faded to dust.

Etsumi grimaced as she sat up, the boy and the girl were nowhere to be seen and the door had been put back up crudely. Nothing else seemed to be broken by the looks of it.

The mask was taken from her mouth as she was able to breathe normally again.

"Etsumi Tomioka, that's your name isn't it dearest." Cho spoke quietly, as if she wished Etsumi wouldn't confirm it. She looked shocked wondering how she knew, but the elderly woman shook her head.

"I am Cho Kocho, of the Kocho Residence, who you were looking for. That blade you carried, confirmed my suspicions after I had washed it. You're Mizuki's daughter, and if you've come, I assume she didn't make it." Cho looked sadly at Etsumi who was on the verge of tears, as she sat frozen and confused.

"I'm sorry Etsumi." she apologized, resting her hand on her shoulder. "But you're not safe here, I know why you came here, and they've been contacted. Someone will be here soon to get you there." she assured, and Etsumi didn't let any of the tears fall from her eyes, as they became void again. She bowed her head.

"Thank you."

•⊰⧫⊱• - •⊰✶⊱• - •⊰⧫⊱•

By the morning Etsumi was feeling good enough to walk around and stretch which Cho had forced upon her to heal. Her bones were still broken, but were healing nicely according to Cho. She was also informed that someone from HQ wouldn't be able to pick her up until later today.

She was ok with that, although she was getting tired of being told to rest by the two siblings as she presumed.

"Tomioka-san you shouldn't be up, go back to bed. You're over exerting yourself." The boy would swiftly turn her around and usher her back to her room with a soft smile, as Etsumi was sure Cho explained the whole situation to them.