Chapter  17

|Reconstruction Arc|

"Hey why are we running so fast?" Himari asked, as Ayame was bolting down a path.

She had recently spotted a trail of blood and was following its direction the past mile or so.

"It's close" Ayame stated as she slowed down to pace with Himari.

"What's close? There's literally only trees here,"

"There!" she bolted again.

"Oh c'mon..."

They ran in the direction of the fog getting thicker and thicker as they continued to run. Ayame's lungs burned with lack of physical capacity to keep running the speed she was running at, so she slowed down. Sweat rolled down both of their faces as steam rose off of them.

"Well that was a work out, you're smoking right now." Himari joked.

While Ayame brushed it off, not really catching it. "It's close by, there's no light leaking from the trees."

"Yeah, perfect spot for demons to reside, during the day time."

Ayame nodded as she tightened her hair buns that had come slightly loose from running.

"Probably our demon, c'mon let's get moving" Himari motioned as she took her bow off of her shoulder as they walked through the dense forest. Both of them could barely see at all as they walked.

They were both startled by the creepy forest noises that would sound almost like snakes.

Also to add to the eeriness it was freezing cold. Ayame could see the condensed air coming out of her mouth every time she breathed and walked.

However the fog was short lived, they had walked into an open clearing, ribbons of sun falling from the afternoon sky. The trail was diverted as both demon slayers ended up in a small village with forest and mountains surrounding it.

"Huh, we're not too far from HQ. We made good time." Himari observed as they both slowed down in front of the village entrance. Both of them were bewildered as the trail seemed to run in multiple directions as soon as they stepped beyond the village gate.

"Strange, you want to take the one on the left I'll take the right?" Himari suggested as she stood up from the ground. Ayame confidently nodded acknowledging the scarlet haired demon slayer.

Himari closed her eyes looking to the sky, "Right, let me know if you find anything."  Himari waved as she quickly walked in the left direction, leaving Ayame alone.

She wandered to the right following the trail as best she could as she soon figured out that someone was trying to cover it.

Then she caught the eye of a taller male with long white hair in a low ponytail in the shade of a building peacefully looking out at the road of people. He had a handsome face and strong physique Ayame could've instantly crushed on. However, he was not a country man, so Nariko, Soma, and Renai would not approve.

She sighed, about to draw her attention back to the task of finding the whereabouts of where the injured demon slayer came from. That was until she hadn't realized where she had put her foot as she had begun to fall face first into the stairs.

Before it could reach the wooden stairs of where she was following the trail her wrist was grabbed stopping her fall completely.

"You should be more careful where you step, miss? Are you alright?"

Ayame looked towards her savior to find the same male she had spotted earlier. He was pale ivory, and adorned a black trench coat and long black pants and shoes. Ayame nodded,