Chapter 40

.

| Blood Flower Arc |

.

She couldn't turn her head away from her friend and what was worse is she couldn't do anything. Except right as she watched the wings coil and tighten around Etsumi's body. The air began to heat up, like sun rays were gracing her skin. Ayame's head perked as a whistling sound filled the room, quieting the demons and causing Zen to pause his execution.

He turned in the direction of the sound, facing a dark hallway that flickered with a dim orange light. Then within a second a burst of heat rushed past the demon horde, creating a path of ash that continued to Zen. There was a sudden flash upon impact with Zen as arcs that appeared like flames enveloped his dark wings.

A flicker of a green cloth floated up in the air, with strands of maroon igniting in the moonlight. While the 12 angelic wings burnt to ash in an instant.

'What? What is this? It feels as if my wings were cauterized...'

Once the chaos had subsided, Etsumi was confused as she had felt a rush of heat and arms wrapped tightly around her knees and shoulders. The air was still as with the rest of the functionality of her nose, she caught a familiar scent.

Her eyes shot open.

Etsumi was in the arms of a boy with long scarlet hair tied in a ponytail and a scar on the left side of his forehead. He wore a green checkered haori with golden sun embroideries along the hems of the sleeves. Dangling from his right ear was a rectangular piece of jewelry that looked like a red japanese sun.

"Can you stand?" his voice came out surprisingly cool and soft, as he faced Etsumi. Blood dripped steadily from the crease in her mouth, stunned as she managed to catch a little bit of her breath. Etsumi nodded, as the boy set her down gently. Her body ached, as she tried to get up onto her feet. Once she had placed one foot on the floor she felt dizzy doubling over on the ground and coughing up more blood.

The boy supported her quickly, holding her now shorter hair back as he picked her up and sat her down away from the battle. He quickly checked in, lightly putting his wrist to her forehead and index finger on her neck. His expression didn't change. "Try to keep as much blood as you can inside your body, I'll handle it from here." he instructed quietly, and Etsumi nodded.

The boy bowed his head, and pushed himself up onto his feet standing a few paces in front of the water descendant currently leaning against a step behind him.

He turned towards Zen, his eyes narrowing as a dark aura radiated off of him. He swung his blade downward. Zen's eyes became enveloped in an image of a dark silhouette with the same hair and earring looking menacingly at him. It wasn't his memory but he could feel the fear washing over him in waves. He stepped back warily, realizing that he may or may not live if he fought this version of the descendant he met the night Ayame was kidnapped.

Before he could make a move there was a crashing sound from the outer walls of the room and ceiling. A golden white light lit up the room, as the sounds of cracking and sizzling echoed around them. A hole was created by the ruckus as someone dropped from the ceiling with.. an umbrella?

"Thunder Breathing

.

1st Form

.

Thunder Clap and Flash"

Lightning enveloped the girl in bright electric blue and golden yellow hues as she crashed down, piercing straight through a hoard of demons, incinerating them to dust. Her brown hair was beautifully curled and yellow electric steaks illuminated it as she swung her umbrella over her shoulder. Electricity sizzled off of her eyes.