{{24}}

Running against the wind has never felt as difficult as it did now. Carrying up to six or more people on his back was less of a challenge for Izuku and more of a daily occurrence since the first time he saved someone.

But this time, he felt helpless. Like the little boy at the beach, he wasn't emotionally strong enough, he couldn't run fast enough. Y/n wasn't in a life-threatening condition, but she must be in immense pain.

Despite not having the chance to examine her wounds more closely, he saw and recognized the precision of a doctor performing surgery. Every cut was so perfectly and precisely placed, not too deep to endanger her life but deep enough to make her suffer.

As the harsh wind slammed against them, Y/n coughed. One of her hands was still clutching his hero costume, while the other she covered her chest with.

How clever of them to abduct her to the outskirts of Tokyo, where no one would be able to help her even if she managed to escape. Yet she did. She was clever, in whatever way she had done it. That was yet to be discovered.

"I got you, Y/n. I'll bring you to a hospital so we can treat your wounds, okay?" he panted against the wind. Almost did he not notice the small humm of approvement. "You're safe; I won't abandon you." He promised as he slowed down in front of the hospital.

As he entered, he softly pressed Y/n against him, shielding her body from all the curious eyes.

When a nurse noticed Deku, she hurriedly approached him, though when she saw Y/n, she immediately instructed Izuku to follow her. Two additional nurses pushed an empty bed towards Izuku, on which he carefully laid Y/n, who tried to stop him by grasping a handful of his clothing, whimpering because she didn't want to be touched by strangers.

"Would you mind if I tack along?" Izuku requested of the nurses, who paused for a moment before agreeing emphatically.

The only thing keeping Y/n on that bed was the hand Izuku had given her to hold, which she squeezed hardly. She squirmed in panic as she was led inside a room.

After a few seconds, a doctor entered, his calm demeanor changing to one of shock when he saw Y/n.

"Could you please take her vitals, Lina?" The doctor spoke up, his calm expression reassuring Y/n that he wasn't going to harm her.

"Can you tell me your name?" He was staring Y/n in the eyes as his hands slowly assisted another nurse in removing Y/n's shredded shirt to inspect her body.

"Y/n, sir. She is mute." Knowing that Y/n wouldn't be able to respond, Izuku jumped in.

"Born mute?" If Araya's words were to be believed, she wasn't.

"No, her tongue-..." Izuku trailed off, unable to complete this truly awful sentence. Despite the fact that he did not say it out loud, the man understood.

"Would you just open your mouth for me, child?" He addressed Y/n once more. Y/n shook her head nervously and attempted to sit up, however was gently pushed back.

Her chest began to rise faster, her breathing became more rapid, causing the ECG to screech in an unnaturally rapid manner.

"I need you to relax, Y/n. I won't harm you; instead, I wish to assist you. I need to examine these injuries because if they become infected, you'll be in even more pain, you understand?" She nodded, choking on her own tears. She tried to keep up with the instructions by breathing in through her nose and exhaling through her mouth.

"Can you open your mouth?" Slowly, her lips parted, revealing that Araya had indeed spoken the truth. When Izuku, the nurses, and even the doctor observed the lack of a tongue, or at least a complete one, they all gasped. He urged her to close it again after a deeper inspection. Izuku was paralyzed. She hadn't lied about it.