Chapter 36 - Sydney

My heart is in my mouth. I'm going to be sick. I place my palms on either side of my ear as I duck down. "Don't," I whisper.

For a second Flint turns toward me, removing his gun out the window. "Stay down," he says. "But I have to shoot or else they'll shoot us."

Kill or be killed.

I am familiar with the concept. Never acted on it myself but my life really hasn't been much of a threat until I met Flint.

I watch Flint shoot at the tire of the car beside us. He shoots agains and soon the tire separates from the car. The car folds forward and sparks ignite when they continue to drive without their front left wheel.

When I look back, there's no other cars. Surely we didn't lose them. There's only one of us and a few of them.

My hands begin to sweat and I wipe them on my clothes to calm myself.

"Didn't I say to stay down!" Flint shouts, his tone aggressive. He's never spoken to me like that, even on the initial days when he tried to give me a hard time.

I wipe at the tears and press my head down. Pain shoots across my thigh and I hiss from the impact.

Flint turns to watch me. His features soften as he places a hand on my head that's crouched between my thighs. He rubs my head slightly. "I just want you safe," he says in a gentle tone.

I nod. "I know."

His hand moves back from my head to my back and he gives me a gentle rub before placing his hand on the steering wheel and pushing the car forward. Our speed picks up immensely and the car besides us does the same. Except it doesn't work in their favour. I pull my head up in time to see the sparks ignite a fire and they immediately break the car once the spot the fire. That movement forces the car to flip, once, twice and land viciously upside down in a ball of fire.

I gasp, my hand coming over my mouth. I'm pretty sure they didn't survive that.

"O-oh my g-god," I stutter. "Are we going to jail for their murder?"

Flint watches me for a second. "We didn't kill anyone. They flipped the car themselves."

"But you shot at them"

He nods. "Self defence. If they can pinpoint it on me to begin with. Otherwise I have the best lawyers in the country."

"But you have a gun," I whisper.

He nods. "I have a licence."

—————————

My eyes open when the car drives over gravel. The crunch between the wheels forces me to sit up and watch where we are.

"Where are we?"

Flint smiles faintly. "North," he replies but doesn't say much.

He stops the car near the petrol station and disappears inside.

My heart beats fast, I don't like being alone. I turn and watch behind us making sure we're not followed. Then I turn and watch Flint pay at the counter.

He comes back and drops the plastic bag into my lap. "There isn't much but there's a bottle of water and a croissant. I'll find somewhere better to stop for proper food."

I rub my eyes as I peer into the bag. "Can't we just call the police?"

Flint nods. "My men have notified the police that we're being hunted but I don't want to take the chance and go back if the underworld is after us. They're not normal people, Sydney, and they won't hesitate to brutally hurt you. Woman or not."