Chapter 7 - Sydney

I look down at my dress and then back at the mirror. "It's a little too much, don't you think?"

Alaina shakes her head. "You look good. All eyes will be on you."

I stare at the mirror again. That's exactly what I don't want. I just want to sneak in without anyone realising and then leave when it's time to go, pretending that the party never had happened. "It's a business party, and this outfit is too revealing."

"That's a good thing," Alaina suggests. "Who knows, you might meet some hot guys or perhaps even Flint although I'm secretly envious of you if that's the case."

I roll my eyes at how pointless her comment is. "It's a business party."

Alaina wears a red laced dress that's sleeveless at the top, a diamond cut out near her chest area and goes down to an extremely short length. Her clothes is quite revealing too and apparently she's gone to several of these business parties dressed like this.

"Don't worry, Syd. Everyone dresses like this."

I look down and then back at my dress in the mirror. It's a silk backless dress that dips quite low at the back. The front bends like waves revealing subtle cleavage and is longer at the back and short at the front. It's paired with black heels with thin straps that wrap around the leg.

I feel incredible but I don't think it's appropriate. I will just have to take Alaina's word for this. I walk down the length of Alaina's bedroom in hopes that I can walk considering the heels are extremely long. I've never worn heels this long.

Alaina dragged me shopping yesterday for this party despite suggesting that I didn't want to spend my money on dresses and shoes because I didn't even care about the party to begin with, but like usual she somehow convinced me to go for it.

Before we know it, we're in the car and soon at the destination.

The lighted garden indicates to us where the party is. As we get closer, I squeeze Alaina's hand out of nervousness. Part of me wants to see Flint but the other part doesn't.

When we get to the entrance, security check both our invitation cards before letting us in. I take a deep breath when we get in, at least the hardest part is over, convincing myself to come.

A lady in her mid-thirties by the name Susie hugs Alaina and they get busy talking in the corner. I run my hand against the roses and smile. It's a gorgeous place. Whoever thought a floral garden was the place for a party was absolutely right.

"Nice to see you here again, Miss Jackson."

The voice pulls my attention forcing me to turn in its direction. There standing in front of me is Flint Everwood. I can almost feel my heart beat out of my chest but I don't for a second let it show.

He has an effect on me and I can't for my mind figure out why. Somehow I feel weak in the knees and breathless whenever he's around.

He stretches his hand out. "Let me show you where you're seated."

I look back at Alaina who is busy talking to a group of people, having forgotten that she came with a friend. Knowing it would be rude if I didn't take his hand, I reach out and lightly place my hand in his.

He wraps his fingers around mine and it's almost as if a shock travels down my body. I wonder if he felt it too.

He takes me down the pathway to all the chairs and then places his free hand over the chair. "This is where you'll be sitting," he says. "Everyone is enjoying themselves so don't worry about seating now."

I nod not knowing what to say next. I see the tiny card on the table that has my name printed on it.

Flint doesn't let go of my hand though, instead he walks to the left of the garden and we walk down a narrow pathway before we get secluded from the rest. This doesn't look good. Being alone with someone I do not trust is a bad decision, I should turn back now but the curious side of me stays.

"There's something about you," Flint says. "Something different."

I don't know what he's trying at but I imagine I won't see him ever again so why not have some fun while I'm here. I am sure he's had some fun at my expense, it's only fair to return the favour. I'll flirt for a bit, what harm could it do. Although in reality it could do a lot of harm and that to me too because I can't flirt.

"Good different?" I ask.

Flint smirks. "Great different," He whispers as he takes a step forward. "You look extremely gorgeous in this dress."

I realise that this isn't going the way I hoped. Instead my cheeks turn pink and I angle my head down in hopes that he won't see me blushing.

His fingers run across my bare back sending a shiver down my back. It feels good but in reality, how many girls has he taken to the side to mess around with.

As I step forward, my heel catches in the rocky pavement and I go forward. Flint's hands wrap around my waist and for a second I think I'm going to hit the floor. When I open my eyes, Flint has me tight on his arms. "You're safe," he whispers into my ear before leaning in closer.

I know what he'll do. He's done this a few times, he gets really close. To save myself from that again, I take three steps back only to watch him take three steps towards me. I take another back and bump into the concrete wall. I blink when he leans against me, his body pressed against mine.

"I think I make you scared," Flint says.

I shake my head. "No."

"No?" he says smirking. "Why do you back away then?"

I swallow. "Why do you lean forward?"

His smirk grows bigger. "Because maybe I want to kiss you."

I freeze. That's not what I was thinking he would say. I don't know how to react to that.

"I'm going to kiss you. Tell me to stop if you don't want it. I'm not going to force it," Flint says looking deep into my eyes.

No guy has ever looked at me like that and before I know it, his lips are pressed against mine. It takes me by surprise. He kisses me softly before intensifying it, his hands skimming my bare back. I release a soft moan hoping he doesn't hear. He doesn't react and instead continues kissing me, his hand wrapped around my face pulling me closer. I can feel the heat and passion, the kiss getting harder and quicker. My hand rests on his chest where I can feel muscle pushing through his shirt.

The noise of laughter pulls our lips apart. Flint places a finger over my lip telling me to be quiet. I try to control my breathing to calm myself down. His thumb strokes my cheeks as he looks around trying to figure out where the sound came from.

"I've wanted to do that since the day I met you," Flint whispers in my ear with no care in the world. I could never admit to such a thing.

We can hear chatter and from the corner of my eye, I see four people walking in our direction. Flint notices them too because he pulls me against the bush, our bodies pressed against each other.

I would normally be angry as to why a guy would want to hide me as if they're ashamed but this time I'm glad, I was supposed to be invisible. Come to the party and go and I've done the exact opposite. Just make out with your friend's boss, she'll definitely keep her job now.

When they go, he pulls me back against the wall. "I'll explain," he says. "It's not what it looks like."

I nod. "We should join the party. I'm sure Alaina will be wondering about me."