Chapter 5 - Sydney

A knock on the door jolts me awake. I look down at myself, shorts and tank top seems appropriate to answer the door. Stifling a yawn, I push myself out of bed before I hear another knock.

When I open the door, Alaina stands there. She's wearing tight jeans that show off her curves and a blush coloured blouse with white heels. She looks fancy, way too fancy to be paying me a visit but then again, isn't she always dressed like this.

Alaina pushes her way past me and takes a seat on my couch. "Hey gorgeous, one week no see," she says.

I slump next to her, looking at the clock. It's eight, so I've woken up late again. "Good to see you too," I say sarcastically.

Alaina laughs. "Don't hate me. I know I shouldn't have sent you to work but it was crucial to get those documents to my boss."

I yawn. "He's scary."

She nods in agreement. "Oh I know, trust me. You'll get over it once you get to know him," she says before watching me intently. "Anyways, what did you do or say to him, because he was asking about you at work this morning. Please don't tell me you said something inappropriate or screamed at him. He's my boss and i intend on keeping this job."

Having no idea what she's talking about, I give her a questioning look. What did I do wrong for him to ask about me? Great, I somehow stuffed up again.

"What did he ask?"

"Well he asked me who you were and what you did. Plus he was very curious about you, I haven't seen him this way about anyone. He usually has an 'I don't care' attitude."

I give Alaina a confusing look. "I handed the documents in. I don't know what I did wrong."

She waves her hand. "Anyways, I have to go to work but just dropped by to see how you were."

Alaina stands up and gives me a hug before I walk her over to the door. She says a final goodbye before leaving as I close the door. I slump on the couch in confusion. I hope Mr Everwood wasn't angry. I did exactly what Alaina asked which was handing those documents in, I didn't do anything more.

My mind travels back to the coffee shop. I hurt myself and he helped me out, nothing worth getting angry about. When I paid him a visit in his office again to give him the document I had forgotten about the first time, all I did was give him the document. Nothing happened except he intimidated me and was awfully close.

When I get up to wash my face, my eyes set sight on all the mail sitting on top of my coffee table. One in particular catches my eye. The gold envelope seems like the odd one out against all the plain white ones.

Grabbing the envelope, I twist it between my hands examining it. It has my name written on the front but other than that, there is nothing. Opening the envelope, I notice a card. It's no ordinary card like a birthday card, it's an invitation. An invitation to a business party at Everwood Business Co. My heart skips a beat. Flint Everwood sent this. That must mean I haven't done something wrong or else why would he sent this to me.

Though a business party usually would involve clients and his staff, it wouldn't involve me, a complete stranger. Without a second to waste, I send a text to Alaina telling her about the card. He obviously must've sent it yesterday as that's when I picked the mail up. It doesn't take Alaina any time to reply, telling me she'll stop by after work to discuss it.

-----

"Oh my god! You have to go, Sydney," Alaina protests when I tell her I think it's a bad idea.

"He doesn't even know me. It's a business party, it would be strange to have me there," I tell her.