Chapter 3 - Sydney

I shake my head. He probably has girls thinking about him all the time and I'm not about to become one of those other girls. I wince at the paper cut I get from turning the page of my book. There's blood against the page which means I am bleeding. Staring down at my finger, I dab a napkin to stop the bleeding.

By the coffee shop, a shiny black Lamborghini pulls up. It's a fancy car to be in a place like this. I'm tempted to step outside and run my hands against it. I've always dreamed of owning a modern mustang and Lamborghini. A red or black mustang and a lime green Lamborghini. It still confuses me though why someone who could afford a car like that would come here and considering I come here often, this is the first time I've seen that car.

It's only when the driver steps out that my heart stops. Flint Everwood. He takes his sunglasses off as he walks this direction and I'm pretty sure he notices me staring. I look down at my finger as if to claim I was reading. That's when I notice the red piling up at my finger. Dabbing the napkin again at my finger, I watch from the corner of my eye as Mr Everwood waves at Mel, the lovely grandma who owns this shop. She's an absolute sweetheart. He walks over, and that's when realisation sinks in. The reserved sign next to me is for him.

Mel passes him a newspaper as he walks over and takes a seat by the window pane.

"You should take care of your finger before it gets worse," he says not looking up from his newspaper.

I look down at finger, that's not a paper cut. Whatever it is, it's much worse. It's as if I've cut myself with a knife although I haven't. I don't remember cutting myself with a knife.

"It's okay," I reply.

Flint stares at me for a second before folding his newspaper on the table and turning to face me. He pulls a handkerchief from his pocket and stretches his arm forward. I pull the napkin up to show him that I've got it covered but instead he places it on my table. "You should wash your finger."

I tilt my head when I realise the pain of the cut is finally kicking in. I stand up to walk over to the bathroom but I trip against the feet of the table, hitting the ground hard. Using my palms I try and push myself up but a hand wraps around my hips and pulls me up.

"You okay?" Flint asks.

I nod even though pain shoots up my knee. "I'm fine," I say but he still doesn't let me go. In fact he grabs my hand and helps me take a seat when I wince from pain.

Grabbing his handkerchief from the table, he dabs on my finger. "You should be more careful," he says.

I notice by the entrance that his security attempt to rush forward but with his hand he informs them to stay in place. The security eye me like I'm some kind of threat, perhaps like all these other girls who throw themselves at him.

He grabs the water bottle from his side and dabs a clean napkin against it and wipes my finger. "How is your knee?"

I frown. "Hurts," I say quietly to hide from embarrassment.

He nods not saying a single word. I watch him when I notice what's happening. I pull my finger back immediately. "I'm okay," I say attempting to stand up as I grab my book. My knee stings and instantly I know I won't be able to get far.

Flint watches me in confusion before signalling to his security to stay away again when they inch forward. "You know, I don't bite," Flint says as he wraps his arm around my hips and helps me exit the cafe.

"I can walk myself," I say knowing very well that I should stay away from people like this. It's all a game for people like him.

"I don't think you can," Flint says firmly as if warning me not to push it again. He helps me to my car and turns around to leave before stopping. "It was nice seeing you again, Sydney Jackson," he says with a wink.

I blink. He remembers me, but not only that, he knows my name.