Chapter 21 - Sydney

Samantha stares at me in shock while Flint wraps his hand around my hip ushering me close to his family. Everyone has seen the ring on my finger. The obvious size of it would be impossible to hide.

I twist my back, ready to make a run but Flint places a hand on my back. "Take a deep breath," he murmurs.

I blink. His family watch between us. I can tell they're deciding how our interactions are amongst one another. It's as if Flint picks up on it too. He wraps his arm tightly around my waist and gives my hip a tight squeeze, a gesture his whole family sees. It doesn't stop there though, he leans in and kisses the side of my lip, catching the corner of my lip and the skin around my mouth.

"Breath, remember," he murmurs in my ear.

I do as he says, breathing to calm myself. Samantha and Will are the first two who approach us. Will watches me for a second and then lifts a questioning eyebrow towards Flint.

Flint runs his hand down my waist and up my arm that's hidden behind my back. I fist my fingers together when he attempts to free my hand. He kisses my cheek gently and I know it's a warning of sorts. I release my hand as he pulls it forward, intentionally showing the ring off to his family before lacing his fingers amongst mine.

"Should I ask?" His mother says beside us.

Flint smiles. "You can," he says. "But I'll save you the trouble. Sydney and I are engaged."

My throat tightens and suddenly I feel like I can't breath. It's official, he's told everyone. There is no backing down now.

Samantha watches me as her eyes scan the ring and then the expression on my face. I'm about to be sick.

She approaches me and grabs my hand scanning the ring up close. "A fairly solid ring," she says to Flint. "Sydney must really be special, brother."

I smile but I know that Flint can see it's all an act. His hand touches my bare back, while his fingers play gently amongst my skin. His touch sends a shiver down my spine but I keep a calm and collected expression.

Samantha leans in. "I quite like you," she whispers. "Did from the very first day I met you."

I smile again in her direction but this time it feels more genuine.

I was supposed to be the bride from hell but somehow I cannot manage to misbehave. Flint's mother pulls me into a hug and I notice the huge grin on her face. She is happy, beyond happy actually and this would ruin things if she knew the truth.

Will knots his hands together as if the winter wonderland theme actually has him cold. "If you two are engaged, can I ask why you were so harsh with her at work the last time we met in the office?"

My mouth dries up. He doesn't believe us. He doesn't believe this act. Will gives my hand a squeeze as if to say welcome to the family but watches his brother for a response.

Flint smiles as he plants a kiss on my hand. "We don't mix business with pleasure, isn't that right darling."

I shake my head. "No we don't, babe," I tell him watching his family react to the words of endearment we pass to each other. "But I did contemplate leaving you that day."

Flint's father laughs beside us. "I would have too," he says to me as he kisses my cheek in congratulations. "He was a complete jerk."

Flint smirks in my direction. "I'm right here, you know."

I watch as everyone hugs and congratulates Flint before hugging and kissing me, and then they disappear amongst the foggy crowd.

I turn to Flint, his fingers still drumming against my bare back. "Do you mind?" I tell him as I take a step forward, his hand dropping from my back.