Chapter 20 - Sydney

I stare at the make believe snow flustered all over the ground. Scattered across the floor are petals and petals of flowers mixed alongside the snow. The hall looks like a winter wonderland mixed with spring. It's unusual but I guess that's what makes it unique.

I pull my glittery white cocktail dress lower as I scan the crowd. Flint's family will be here any minute and I'm sure I'll be exposed within seconds.

My eye goes to the engagement ring on my finger. The diamond the size of a walnut. If Flint didn't think this was extravagant, I don't know what is. I hide my left hand behind my back as if to hide the ring from everyone.

Flint was to meet me here but the walk here alone was traumatising. I watched as paparazzi had clicked photos of a bunch of rich and successful men along with their girlfriends. All the so called bachelors who are to be bid off despite having girlfriends.

No one knows yet who I'm supposed to be and I'm glad for that. I don't think this is a good idea at all. In no way is this normal but then once again neither is the ideas going through Flint's head.

If he intends on making my life hell, then I'm about to make his miserable. Two can play at this game.

I'm about to make this the worst family reunion possible. It'll have his family running in the opposite direction. They'll be done with me.

Samantha. The image of Flint's sister pops in my head. She was nice towards me and it would be horrible to give her such a treatment today and it's not within me to be this kind of person. The horrible, tasteless kind.

I once again pull the glitter white dress down in an attempt to pull my concentration elsewhere. I blend perfectly with the winter wonderland theme but at the same time I'm a queen. I actually feel like a boss in this dress.

My soft curls fall against my shoulders and my heels clack against the snowy floor.

"You look gorgeous," a voice says behind my forcing me to turn in their direction.

My brows fold in when I notice Flint. He's wearing a black tux with a bow tie. He looks good but that's probably the only good thing about him. The rest of him is a devil.

I frown and take a step away from him before his hand finds mine. "Don't want people getting the wrong idea," he whispers. "We're meant to be a thing, remember?"

His arm wraps around my waist and I hate the idea of it. I want to tell him to move his hand or else I'll do it but the contract comes to mind, and I feel disgusted that I've practically sold myself to him.

Soft music plays in the background and a gathered crowd has formed in the centre of the hall. Men and women entwined with one another. Hands on hips. Swaying to the music.

"You smell good," Flint says in my direction with a wink before giving my hip a squeeze.

I sarcastically smile at him. "Thanks, I threw up this morning. I think you're smelling it."

He smirks before running his hand through his hair. If I didn't know any better, I might think I've actually gotten to him.

"You can deny it," Flint says beside me, pulling me out of my thoughts. "But you know you need me."

I shake my head in disgust. "That's where you're wrong," I tell him. "You're the one who's asked me to be their make believe girlfriend."

Flint smirks once more beside me. I wish I could knock the smirk off his face, but I know standing here that he's already won. "Actually I'm using you. A contract, remember? You're here because you still need me. I could easily force you to pay me as part of the contract."

My throats tightens. "How do I know you'll actually terminate the contract once I do this?"

"My name's Flint Everwood. I don't ever go back on my word."

I roll my eyes. "Jerk," I say under my breath.

He tips his head in my direction. "Pardon?"

"Nothing," I tell him as I move away from him. His arm falls limp by his side as a crowd of men approach him.

I stop by the drinks counter and order a lemonade. Any form of alcohol would be a bad situation here. When I turn to watch Flint, he's busy shaking hands with other men in suits. Perhaps bachelors or businessmen. They both look the same.

"You can bid on me," a voice beside me says.

I lift my glass to my lips as I glance in the stranger's direction. His black hair gelled back. He wears a black tuxedo like almost every other man here but his solid grey eyes pulls me in. He's good looking that's for sure and his beard shaved to the point of just specks shows off his chiseled jaw perfectly.

I blink. "Excuse me."

He points at the stage. "You're here for the love'n'bloom gala, right?"

I nod.

"Then you'd know," he says. "That bachelors' are up for bid."

I nod again. "Your point is?"

He grins. "It takes you time, doesn't it?" He says moving closer. "In more obvious terms, I'm trying to flirt with you."

I almost choke on the straw from my lemonade. My head immediately snaps back in Flint's direction. He's nowhere to be seen. Maybe this is a good way to piss him off. He totally deserves this and I have to admit, the guy in front of me is good looking. He's no Flint Everwood but it is what it is.

I smile. "Maybe I will bid on you," I say with a wink.

He leans further. "Then I guess I'll be waiting," he says as he twirls the edge of my curl in his hand.

A hand taps on his shoulder before the stranger is pulled back a few steps. I stare at the floor as Flint steps forward. He holds my hand up, the one with the ring. "Get someone else's girl," he says. "She's engaged."

I can tell he's trying to hide rage but a subtle smile spreads on my lip. That's for trying to control me, Mr Everwood.

"What the hell?" He says. "Try not to flirt your way through all the bachelors tonight. You're engaged, okay?"

I twist my hand free from the grip he suddenly has on my hand. "Fake engaged. I'm technically still single so I can still have fun."

"That's not the point," Flint grunts in frustration. "You're supposed to be convincing."

"Sorry it wasn't good enough for you," I tell him as I pick up the glass of lemonade and push myself past him.