Chapter 23 - Sydney

His ring sits on my finger. It tells me exactly what I should already know. It's just an act, I'm supposed to be his fake fiancée.

When I look back to his face, his eyes pierce through me. Flint stares at such intensity that I'm practically weak in the knees for him.

I know I want him. Last night was proof of that. Even though he stopped, the moments I had, those were good.

I'd messed around with men before. Things like laying in bed and having them touch and hold me. Perhaps even kiss me. What happen last night though...that was official.

I had lost it to Flint Everwood and I probably wasn't the only girl to have lost it to him.

"Say something," he says.

I clear my throat. Either he's playing me or he felt exactly what I felt last night.

"This," I say, my eyes going to the ring on my left hand. "This ruins it all."

Flint grabs my right hand. He inches closer, his knees bumping into mine against the floor. "We can fix it."

I shake my head, there's no way. "How?"

His finger loops around my hand and he pulls the ring off. "Like that."

"No," I whisper. That would fix nothing. His family already think we're engaged.

He tries to kiss my cheek but I pull away, pushing myself up. I stand and turn and walk towards the living room. "You ruined it all," I say. "Just when we had a chance."

Flint watches me. He blinks trying to register my words as he stands up and follows behind me.

His hand wraps around my wrists and he pulls me against his body. "It changes nothing," he says pressing me against the wall.

I attempt to free myself but cannot. His strength overpowers mine. "Flint, please."

"Just say it," he whispers, his voice full of emotion as he backs away from the wall giving me the space to move. "Just tell everyone you broke up with me."

I freeze. "What?"

"The ring," he says. "End it."

I try to hide the tears in my eyes. He's giving me the chance to walk away from this. To be completely and utterly free and yet all I can think about is his hands on my body. The way they traced my lips. His kisses against my neck. I want all of that and I want it with him.

"Okay," I whisper, hating myself for it.

Flint takes another step back, his hands no longer touching me. "Okay," he nods.

I turn my back to him. I don't want him to know that it hurt. I was hoping he'd fight for me or find a way to make it work. I cannot be with him if we didn't have a fresh new start, I couldn't just be his fake fiancée.

The contract would have been over. He knows that and he knows I know.

"Sydney," he says as I stop in front of the door.

"I hope someday you'll fight for this," he says in defeat as he turns and heads up the stairs.

I twist the door handle and my eyes settle on Samantha. Suddenly my mouth feels dry. I hope she heard nothing.

She pushes through, a frown on her face. "You know," she says. "I knew from the get go you two weren't engaged."

I back away from the door and watch her. She knows. She heard everything.