Chapter 15 - Flint

This girl does something to me, something I can't explain. I watch her carefully as she stands in front of everyone in the conference room going through her idea. Every once in a while her eyes flick to me but almost immediately looks away. I keep looking at her, unable to snatch my eyes away.

She has something, something I need. It's indescribable why I'm so tempted with her. I don't just want to run my hand down her body, or dream of things unmentionable, I genuinely want to hold her, feel her warmth against me, let her know I care.

"If you stare any more, you'll fall in love," my brother says leaning next to me.

I give him a look that warns him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He smiles. "Of course you don't, but I've never seen anyone get that angry just because someone was late."

"She's a pain," I say in cut out tone.

"But she's your pain," William says.

"Don't turn this into something cheesy," I whisper back, my eyes still on Sydney.

"So at least you admit there's something."

My head snaps at him. "Yea, your death."

William grins as our father stares at us. William's hand join together to demonstrate a heart as he points to Sydney and I. Father gives us a questioning look before I'm forced to kick William's feet under the table forcing him to jump ever so slightly in his chair.

"I'm warning you," I tell him.

"What! She's cute," William says looking back and forth between Sydney and i.

"There's nothing going on," I tell him again.

"She's hot!" William says.

My neck snaps in his direction. "Hey!" I say. "Watch it."

Hating that I almost gave it away, I look down at the folder Sydney gave us. Sydney looks back and forth between William and I in confusion, almost like we're talking about what a fail her idea is. I can see the nervousness kick in and her voice quivers.

"W-what I was s-saying was t-that," Sydney says clearing her throat. She points at the board but I notice her hand shivering.

I stand up immediately and walk over to her. My whole family is watching along with a few other people. I grab her wrist and move it against the board. "Sydney was telling me that this level needs updating, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the building. Her plan is to move it to the north because the richer community lives there and therefore more affordable in that area."

I can see Sydney mouth, "Thank you." I still don't let go of her hand. With the clicker in her hand, I use it to change the slide, my eyes going straight to my brother who smirks from his seat.

-----

"Can I come in, sir?" Keira says holding documents in her hand.

I nod indicating she can. Keira hands me the documents and then sits down on the chair opposite of my desk. "You know, Sir. I think there is a lot that can happen in an empty room."

My eyes don't move from my laptop. "You know, Keira. I think I should point out this room is anything but empty."

When I finally look up her expression sinks but she doesn't give up, instead she gets up and leans toward my desk. She strokes my hand once and when she tries a second time I grab her wrist and stand up. "Warning, Keira. That isn't why I hired you."

Her eyes narrow down. "You didn't seem to mind it before, or is it because of what everyone is saying. That good for nothing girl who just got the job seems to have cast her magic on you."

I push her against the wall and lean in. "Let it be a reminder Keira that you work for me, not the other way around. Maybe a refresh is needed on your part, there was never a before, there isn't a now and there'll never be an after. Pack your bags and leave immediately or I'll throw you out."

Keira's mouth drops open as I move away letting her walk away. "You'll regret that. Sydney has nothing worth fighting for."

With no intentions of defending Sydney, I do it anyways. "She has a lot more than what you'll ever have."

Keira flips her hair and walks off, in a second ending her five year employment.

I wait five minutes before I make my way downstairs watching staff crowded around watching what has happened. Sydney is standing by the side with Alaina asking her what's wrong.

I move closer to the big crowd. "He's making a mistake. Firing his good staff because he's in love. Boss is mad!" Keira shouts as security warn her not to cause a scene.

My eyes immediately go to Sydney who hasn't noticed I'm standing there. "Who is she talking about?" Alaina asks.

Sydney looks nervous. "No idea. Who cares, anyways?"

Alaina claps in excitement. "I do. What if it's true and boss actually likes someone."

I clear my throat standing behind them. "Off to work, girls." Alaina jumps and nods and disappears almost immediately. "Sydney, meet me in my office. There's something I need to discuss."

She nods before I turn and walk away. I notice her burn is now a lot more obvious then it was before. I was very harsh with her. Samantha was right, sometimes I go too hard. You just don't know who is genuine and who isn't. With this much power, everyone wants to either know you or run you over.

I can imagine all the things I'd like to do to Sydney in my office, but I just can't get my hands on her. It's like she tempts with a taste but it's never enough because I can't get the real thing and now I want her, I need her.

I walk up the stairs and into my office. Sydney is already there, sitting on the sofa flicking through a magazine that was sitting on the coffee table. She stands up when she notices me.

"You needed to see me, sir?"

I nod. "Next week we're leaving to do the photo-shoot. I just wanted to remind you so you don't forget."

The expression on her face drops. "How could I forget? It's not something I wanted to do."

A smile spreads across my face even though I know she just tried to have a shot at me. I smile because she has the confidence to talk to me like that, not many can.

I walk over to her. "You have the confidence to admit that but don't have to confidence to admit how you really feel," I say with a smirk. "Now that's an interesting combination."

She leans in further as if trying to prove a point. "Did you fire Keira because of me?"

I grin. "Maybe I did," I say. "At least I can say it out loud."

Her hand runs down my chest and then she leans in to kiss me, taking me by surprise. I wrap my hand around her hips and pull her body closer to mine, kissing her even faster and rougher than when she instigated the kiss. I twist her body, leaning her against the wall. "Told you, you wanted it," I say breathlessly through the kiss.

She pulls back. "No, you wanted it," She says. "I was trying to prove a point. It's not I that feel that way, it's you."

With that she walks out of the office as anger fills me. She knows exactly how to pull my strings. Somehow her weaknesses have become her strength. I thought I knew how to get her on her toes. She happens to know exactly what I want and how to get it away from me.

Next week will be fun, it'll be one she'll never forget. I won't let her.