Chapter 13 - Sydney

When you lose loved ones, you always question the things around you but as a kid you just go with it. Sometimes not exactly understanding how and why things happen the way they do. Standing here, I miss my parents, I miss the people I knew so well but at the same time barely knew.

A single tear slips down my eye forcing me to catch it halfway down my cheek. The cough behind me freezes me. Straightening my skirt, I turn around to watch Flint looking at me with a questioning look.

"These documents," he says as he walks over to my desk placing a blue and marron folder on my desk. "They need to be sent off today."

I nod clearing my throat hoping he didn't witness me having my dreadful moment. I straighten my skirt a second time almost distracting myself this time in hopes that I don't break down again.

"My family is coming in today. They run my office in Belmore and therefore will be in for our meeting today. I expect exceptional behaviour and work today."

I nod, not once looking him in the eye. Alaina would tell me to get my shit together but Alaina has always been the strong one. So have I, I don't like weak but I have my moments.

Flint turns to leave but stops short near the door. "Emotions make us human," is all he says before leaving.

I blink. He's right or at least I think he is. That only shows that he knew I was crying or perhaps saw me. Who knew how long he was there?

I sit back on my chair, staring at the presentation in front of me. If his family is coming then I need to make sure I don't stuff up. His family are probably as strict as he is. Maybe that's where he gets his attitude, and if anything perhaps his family will judge me just as he does.

Grabbing the documents I had created for the meeting today, I head downstairs handing two to the employees who will be sitting in the meeting today. I have another two for the international businessmen Flint is doing a deal with.

I print another four for his family whom will be joining us today. The idea scares me. As if one Everwood wasn't enough, another four will join us.

Looking down at the clock, the meeting starts in half an hour. I walk downstairs to the kitchen and make myself a coffee, this time making sure I don't mix the salt and sugar like I did the last time.

"Coffee break," I hear a voice behind me.

I pause to look at him. "Seems like it," I reply.

"Mr Everwood must be pushing you too hard."

I nod. "Too hard is an understatement. It's as if I don't even know what life is anymore."

He smiles. "He's going that hard on you. Must suck then."

His obviously green eyes glisten as he pushes the sugar in my direction. Smiling back, I spoon two teaspoons and close the lid of the canister.

This guy is nice. Why couldn't someone like Flint be like this. In fact they look quite similar. Those same eyes, nice golden brown hair, a well-built frame and even the same smile.

He winks my way before leaving and I feel bile pile up high in my mouth. If he is somehow related to Flint then I'm dead. I've just badmouthed my boss. He must be related to Flint one way or another. Now that I think about it, I see an uncanny resemblance.

Grabbing the coffee, I empty it down the sink no longer feeling capable of drinking something like that. Maybe I'm over thinking it, I mean that's what I usually do.

I open the cupboard and place the sugar canister into it before turning to bump in Rosanna. She frowns in my direction. "That direction," she says pointing to my left.