Chapter 9 - Sydney

I squeeze my eyes shut hoping the screaming and shouting will stop. Pulling the pillow over my head I sigh as Alaina pounds on the door. "Open the damn door, Sydney!"

I drag myself to the living room and open the door waiting for Alaina to shout but she just stares at me awfully quiet. I rub my eyes and yawn before moving out of the door's way to let her in.

"What happened to you last night?" she asks as she puts her hands on her hips.

I fake a cough. "Wasn't feeling well," is all I manage to say which technically isn't a lie, it's just not the whole truth.

"What was Raylene going on about. Did something happen that I don't know about," she says inching her eyebrows together at me. "Because I'm your friend and you wouldn't lie to me."

I stare at her. I could lie but it feels terribly wrong but worse than that would be lying to the one friend who has always had my back. How the hell did I get myself into this mess? Note to self, always stay away from your friends' bosses.

"We kissed," I say quietly before releasing the breath I was holding in. There, that wasn't too bad.

Except that perhaps it is by the way Alaina's eyes almost pop out of their sockets. She blinks and then pinches her arm as if waiting for reality to sink in. "You kissed him?" she asks. "The Flint Everwood. How is that possible, he's like invincible to girls."

I shake my head. "Well he kissed me."

She takes a deep breath. "That's worse."

I jump up. "How is that worse?" I say biting my nail.

She walks around my living room contemplating what she should do next or what I should do next. "Did it end good or was he angry?"

I shake my head. "I don't know," I say in panic. "Why?"

Alaina drops herself on the couch. "Just deciding if I need a funeral or not."

I watch her. Okay, see I thought I was the crazy one but she's definitely proving me wrong. "Stop talking rubbish. Why would he do anything to you?"

Alaina hands me an envelope before leaving without saying a word. That was weird. When I shout her name, she doesn't turn back but takes the stairs down. Why is she acting weird.

I look down at the envelope she handed me. Sliding a finger under the tab, I pull the flap open and pull out the note.

There is something we need to discuss. I think it's best if you meet me in the office today at one. It's signed off by Flint. I don't need to go. Technically if I don't do anything then it'll be like nothing happened but suddenly Alaina's image pops up in my face.

She gave me the note which must mean that Flint gave it to her, almost like he's warning me that he knows my weaknesses. That or maybe I'm overthinking it. Regardless of what it is, I need to go for Alaina's sake.

-----

As it's the weekend, the office is completely empty. Not a single person is there and the utter quietness is creeping me out.

I notice the sign that reads Flint's office. He clearly wants me to meet him there. Going up the elevators, I stop by the stairs and take a deep breath before counting forty five steps again.

Wiping my hands on my skirt, I place my hand on the door knob and swing it open. Flint sits there staring at his laptop before his head moves higher up to look me in the eye. He shuts his laptop before indicating for me to take a seat.

"Would you like something to drink, Sydney?"

I shake my head. "I'm fine," I say despite not feeling it. This is awkward, especially after what happened last night.

He gets up from his chair and walks to the front of the desk. Leaning on it, he says "I like you, Sydney Jackson."

My heart stops. He's admitted to liking me or perhaps once again he does this to every girl. I blink as he watches me.

He smirks. "Something tells me you got scared last night. It was too much."

I blink again. "It was nothing, just a kiss," I say trying to keep it cool. Don't let him know that it meant something to me too but I cannot figure out what exactly.

His smirk disappears as he leans forward. "Just a kiss?"

I nod. "Haven't you ever kissed a girl just for fun?"

He watches me in confusion. "No," he whispers. "Never."

"Is that what I was to you, just a fling or a quick pash and dash?"

I take a deep breath. This is making things worse. Way to go for playing it cool. "Why are you so fussed, it's a damn kiss not the end of the world."

His face turns into anger but only for just a second before a neutral look appears. "Because when I actually kissed you, I was genuine about it."

I take a deep breath. "That's why you hid me when you saw others. I'll just kiss her and move on. Do not mess with me, Mr Everwood. I'm not the type of girl to just sit and watch."

"That was for your own good," he says in a cool and collected voice that takes me by surprise. I don't know why I was excepting him to be beyond angry. "I was trying to protect you."

I shake my head. "Whatever."

He leans forward. "I actually care about you," he says leaning closer to me.

I get out of my chair feeling his heat against my body. He gets too close for comfort sometimes. When I back away, he walks further towards me. He's done this before.

Hurt registers in his voice when he whispers in my ear. "You're different and I like that, since I've met you. I don't want to play cat and mouse, because I know you feel something you just won't admit to it."

He's right, I do feel something. In fact I feel a lot but I don't want him to know that. I'm so over this. I stare at him. I wonder how many girls he's slept with? How many on a weekly basis?

My number is zero, I know that but he doesn't.

"You were just a bit of fun. Let me remind you that you pursued me not the other way around. Get it around your mind," I tell him in a strong voice. "Can I leave now?"

Without waiting for him to reply, I turn and walk out of his office. When I close the door I take a deep breath. What on earth did I just do?

I take the stairs before I hear "Wait!"

I stop near the elevator and turn to face him. This time he's clearly angry. "I wasn't done talking."

"Oh yeah," I say. "Well I was."

I turn pressing the button in the elevator but he grabs my hand and turns me to face him. "How is your friend?"

My body goes rigid. Alaina. I watch him trying to contemplate his next words or his next move but his face tells me nothing.

"She thinks working at Everwood Business Co is a dream come true. It would be disastrous for her to find out that she no longer works here because of her friend."

I grit my teeth together. "You wouldn't dare."

"Then be honest to me."

Part of me felt sympathetic towards him. If he had pushed a little further I would've told him I had feelings for him. Now I'm just mad. He just used my friend against me.

"I don't give a damn. You were just a bit of fun and games and now I am done."

His smirk reappears. "Good," he says. "You had your fun and games, I'll have mine."

I blink hoping this is a dream. When I close my eyes and reopen them, Flint is there in front of me.

"You'll work as my personal assistant or else I'll fire Alaina."

My heart sinks.