8

Beyoncé

I wake up alone. After spending the remainder of the day with Megan yesterday after my day back, I got my mom's consent to let her spend the night for thanksgiving and all.

She went home for clothes and she also has one more shift to work before she gets vacation.

I'm sad she wasn't next to me but I get to see her in 5 hours according to her text.

I wait to put my hearing aids on after my shower, so I walk past my hearing aids on my nightstand and move to piss and go downstairs. It just helps me ease into the day so I'm not so overwhelmed by sounds.

I see my mother moving around the kitchen making breakfast. I can't really hear the clattering of pans, but I can see them. She sees me coming down the steps and starts signing.

She used to do this every morning. Greet me in sign language and then from there depending on whether or not I'd verbally respond, she'd continue signing.

Good morning. Moves her hands after she finishes lighting the stove.

I sign back, Good morning, mom.

Your cousins are coming a bit later. Remember I told you? Spending the night?

Yes mama, do you want me to help you set up the beds in the guest rooms? I don't want you to have to just do it all yourself.

Please and thank you, Bumble Bee.

I smile at the way she signs my nickname. She does the sign for 'B' and "buzzes" it around. It makes me smile. When I was 7 and learning how to sign, after the crash, getting to choose my sign name truly brought a genuine smile to my face.

I won't forget it. I was in the hospital bed unable to even move my head to look at anyone and my mama swooped in and she signed Hi bumble bee in the most obnoxious way and it made me smile. I'd lost most of my hearing, but at least getting to communicate with my mom was a relief. It was exciting to be able to understand her after so long at the time.

How long will breakfast take? I ask. I might as well get started on a bed or two.

I think you can do one of the twin beds down the hall.

I nod and get moving. My mom got a 5 bedroom 4 bathroom after the divorce with my dad thanks to a prenup she signed. Two bedrooms upstairs, hers and mine, and the rest on the first floor.

The of three bedrooms downstairs two have two twin beds and one has a king sized bed.

It takes me twenty minutes to sort out the bedding and put it on one of the beds in one of the rooms.

Then my mama comes to get me. I decide it's time to put my hearing aids on and quickly get them before sitting with her for breakfast.

"Bey, it's almost thanksgiving. Literally in two days. Have you called your father?"

I chuckle.

My father is the last person I want to speak to.

"What's so funny? He's your father and you should talk to him often."

"I didn't ask to be born, he chose to have children so he needs to be the one to come to me. A child should not have to beg a parent to do what they should already be doing."

My mom stammers. I didn't even mean to come off as rude I'm just saying.

"You call that man and say you're grateful for him!"