Chapter 8: Training

At Human Studies, Mrs Kitty was going over types of Pokeballs humans use to catch Pokemon. Charlie was sulking over his defeat to Jack the Squirtle back at PE class. He didn't listen to his teacher.

After school, Charlie stared at the ground, paying no attention to the sky for his mother. He ignored his friends, who were trying to say goodbye to him. After 10 minutes of staring at the ground, Charlie felt a sharp tap on his shoulder. He flinched and turned around to see mother Charizard standing above him. She looked very concerned for his son, as Charlie was behaving very strangely.

"Are you okay Charlie? You are acting very strangely right now." Asked mother Charizard.

"No I'm not" said Charlie, sadly.

"What's wrong Charlie?" Said a concerned mother Charizard "did that battle against Jack the Squirtle go okay?"

"Uhh... I lost" Charlie confessed quickly and quietly. "I fainted, met Nurse Faith the Chansey at the hospital. I feel bad."

"Oh Charlie." Mother Charizard let out a big sigh. "There is no need to be ashamed of your loss. This was your very first Pokémon battle, and I'm proud of you for taking part in it! Everyone loses sometimes and you will need to learn to accept it!"

"I know," said Charlie "but Jack is water type and is stronger than me. And he know more, he know pound move."

"And that's why you need to train very hard to catch up to him in terms of strength." Smiled mother Charizard. She opened her arms wide, showing her yellow scaly belly. "Come here, have a hug little one."

Charlie walked into his mother's arms and hugged her. Warmth was radiating throughout his body. He let go.

"How about this." Said mother Charizard "this weekend I will help you learn a new move which is not fire typed."

"And then, can I face you in Pokémon battle?" Said Charlie, with his eyes shining bright.

Mother Charizard let out a small laugh. "No honey, I'm much more experienced than you in Pokémon battling."

"Oh" Charlie said sadly.

"But you can ask Leaf if you can battle her. She may be weak to fire, but she is more experienced than you in Pokémon battling, so it's a good trade off." Said mother Charizard.

"Ok." Said Charlie.

"Hop onto my back." Said mother Charizard. "We are going home now."

Charlie did what he was told and clambered onto her back. She lifted into the air and flew Charlie home.

The next day, Charlie had breakfast with mother Charizard and father Garchomp.

"Is dad gonna go to battle?" Charlie asked his mother.

"No" it was father Garchomp who replied. "I take weekends off. I get to spend time with you little one."

"Dad I lost yesterday." Charlie reminded his father again. "Jack the Squirtle is mean and strong!"

"Charlie." Said father Garchomp who looked a bit annoyed about being told that multiple times, "Like I said yesterday, even though you lost, I'm very proud of you for taking part in your very first Pokémon battle of your life."

After breakfast, Charlie's parents did some Pokémon battle training with him.

"So, Charlie, if you want to be a strong Charizard one day, you need to train very hard, so it is much more likely for you to evolve. And you need to be very strong to defeat Jack the Squirtle in a Pokémon battle." Said father Garchomp.