Chapter 12: The Championship Match in Paldea! - Part 1

Charlie enjoyed his holidays away from Pokémon school, as there was no Jack and Neville to bully him. He usually spends his days of holidays with his best friend, Leaf the Chikorita! Time had passed by quickly and Charlie grew as a Charmander in terms of size and strength! He and Leaf were now 10 years old and much stronger than they were when they were 7! He had learnt the move, dragon breath during this time (which is a stronger version of dragon rage.) Charlie has yet to have a dream, other than becoming a Charizard. But perhaps, that will change soon!

One evening, on a day of the summer holidays, Charlie was eating dinner with his best friend, Leaf and his parents. They had invited Leaf and her mother, Flower over for dinner.

"Dad, how come you always not here!" Complained Charlie as he munched on his cooked apples.

"Charlie, that's because I have exciting news to share with you and Leaf!" Smiled mother Charizard,

"What is it?" Charlie said excitedly.

"Your dad had beaten the international battling tournament, just beaten all of the master Pokémons of each type and is now facing the Pokémon world champion! He might just win and become the champion!"

"But, what if he lose and who is the world champion?!" Charlie asked his mother.

"If he loses, he can take on the master Pokémon of his typde again and see if he is still worthy to face the champion in four years time. Then, he would battle the the champion again. The champion's name is Altair and he is a Dragonite!"

"I hope he doesn't need to." Said Leaf.

"Now, the tournament takes place in the newly named region, the Paldea region. There are humans there, but don't worry! It will take place in the mountains to the north of the human habitation!"

"Wow! That's amazing!" Gasped Charlie.

"Will we be alright and not be caught by humans?" Asked a concerned Leaf.

"Don't worry Leaf, Draco is escorting all of the Kolana islands Pokémon onto the Wailord and safely get pass the human settlements, fighting any humans' Pokémon that gets in the way. And he is I'll get you to the mountains where the battle is going to take place. You two will be fine!" Smiled Charlie's mother.

"Okay Lizzie." Said Leaf. She was still not convinced if they were going to be safe.

Mother Charizard hugged both Charlie and Leaf at the same time.

"When are you taking me?" Charlie asked his mother.

"In two days time!" Smiled mother Charizard. "However, the battle isn't until the next day we get there. Paldea is very far away!"

After dinner that night, Charlie said goodbye to Leaf and Flower the Meganium and went to sleep. He imagined his father winning and the crowd cheering "Champion Draco!" He smiled as he let sleep take over him.

On the morning of the Pokémon Paldea championship battle, Charlie woke up. He was feeling very excited and he leapt out of his bedding. He put on his red scarf, which was crafted by the cotton from the Pokémon, Cottonee. He approached mother Charizard, who was wearing a necklace with a beautiful blue jewel in the middle. However, his father was wearing a beautiful silver collar around his neck. In the middle of the collar was a stone that he never seen before. It was deep blue with an orange and yellow flame in the middle.

"What is that gem?" Charlie asked father Garchomp.

"Wait until the battle tomorrow to find out." Said father Garchomp.

"But why would you wear jewellery for a Pokémon battle? Wouldn't it slow you down?" Charlie asked his father breathlessly.

"It's actually very light." Said father Garchomp, smiling. "And it'll give me strength. It'll be my first time using it actually. I was only able to afford it yesterday since they are so expensive! I will put it to good use."