Chapter 16: Pokémon School Battling Tournament - Part 1

Over the next two years, Charlie trained so hard that Mr Birch the Decidueye said that he was the top student in this school, and even surpassing Jack, which confused him, as a few weeks ago, he evolved into a Wartortle during a battle against Bolt the Yamper. Charlie's fire fang, slash and dragon breath moves had gotten a lot stronger.

Charlie was in form class one day when he has gotten a sparkly golden letter from Mr Quackery the Farfetch'd.

"Congratulations" He quacked quietly and walked to Sparky the Pikachu to pass another.

"I wonder what this is?! " He thought as he shakily opened it. He pulled out a letter which had a golden border and very professional looking writing.

"Congratulations, Charlie the Charmander, you are chosen as one of the four Pokemon of the Bravefire house to participate in the School Battling Tournament. It occurs every year for Pokemon aged 15 and over and requires you to be one of the top four students in Battle Studies of your house to participate. It will be in two weeks time, so use your time to train hard! You will battle against up to 4 Pokemon from either the other 3 Pokemon in your house or the other 4 Pokémon in the other houses (Loyalheart, Wittyclaw or Cunningfang.) There are 16 Pokemon in total for this tournament and you are one of them! Could you be the champion of your school?!

Good luck challenger!

Signed,  Leo the Pyroar, the principle of Kolana Islands Pokémon School."

Charlie's heart skipped a beat when he read it. "Wow!"

Sparky the Pikachu came up running to Charlie with the letter in one arm. Lucas the Riolu and Marina the Brionne (she evolved from a Popplio at a water typed Pokémon battling tournament outside of school in the last school holidays.)

"I'm selected too!" Sparky the Pikachu squeaked with happiness. "Watch out Cunningfang students, my Thunderbolts will SHOCK you!"

"I'm so happy I'm selected!" Squealed Marina the Brionne. "I want to show my beautiful Dazzling Gleams in battle!"

"I'm so excited to be selected!" Cried Riolu, shaking with excitement. "Watch out for my Force Palm!"

"I'm sure that Jack the Wartortle is selected!" Said Lucas in a worried voice. "Charlie, are you ready to face him, even when you haven't evolved and is 2x weak to his water moves."

"I'm ready!" Charlie said confidently. "I've even beat Marina the Brionne in a battle at the start of this term!"

"Okay..." Said Lucas, taken aback by Charlie's overconfidence.

Suddenly, Lupus the Rockruff came running to the group.

"I wasn't selected! I'M SO SORRY LUCAS AND CHARLIE!" Lupus busted out crying.

"It's okay Lupus" Charlie comforted the puppy Pokemon. "I will battle you after the tournament."

"Thank you Charlie" Woofed Lupus, tears falling from his crystal blue eyes.

Charlie turned to Lucas.

"I always wanted to be in this tournament!" Said Charlie, eyes brimming with excitement. "Ever since I've seen Fireball the Torracat battling in one.  He have left this school, and he is now a Incineroar. But he was so awesome as a Torracat, battling for the tournament!"

"I know, I wanted to join so badly after seeing the former school champion, Steven, the Meditite win without evolving. I had no idea he had psychic moves, along with his regular fighting ones."

At lunchtime after Advanced Pokemon Science (which was teaching Pokemon abilities that day.)  Charlie found his girlfriend, Leaf the Chikorita waiting for him beside a cherry blossom tree.