50SOD II: Chapter Two

Aubrey's mother was just as gracious and adorable as Destiny had remembered. A tiny woman with beautiful, blonde hair that fell down to her shoulders. Cheerful, light-colored eyes the same shape as Aubrey's. A wide smile that mirrored Aubrey's. She was dressed in a black sweater with a colorful, decorative scarf, and a nice pair of black slacks. The minute Sandi opened the door, she swept them inside and smothered them in hugs. She fawned all over Destiny as she showed her around the modest home.

    "She used to live in a condo unit," Aubrey explained as he followed behind them. "It wasn't tiny, but during the holidays, it tended to fill up pretty quick."

    "I was fine in my condo," Sandi said, looking over her shoulder at him. "You didn't have to buy me this house. I don't need a lot of space. It's just me."

    "We visit you a lot," he pointed out. "Especially now that I'm spending a lot of time in Toronto."

    Sandi leaned in close to Destiny. "Back when he was an entertainer, I barely ever saw him. He was like a stranger. To his own mother."

    Aubrey rolled his eyes. "That's a bit overdramatic."

    "It is not!" Sandi exclaimed jokingly.

    "You were probably doing cartwheels the minute I flew out of town," he muttered under his breath.

    Destiny laughed.

    When the tour was over, they headed back downstairs. Aubrey grabbed Destiny's hand as she reached the second to last step, and continued to hold her hand as he followed his mother into the living room.

    Sandi curled up in an armchair.

    Aubrey gestured for Destiny to have a seat on the couch.

    She sat down, and caught Sandi watching the two of them with a grin on her face.

    Aubrey took a seat on the couch. His eyes flicked over from Destiny to his mother. "What?"

    Sandi rested an elbow on the armrest of the chair. "You look beautiful together, that's all."

    Destiny smiled and looked up at Aubrey.

    He returned the gaze. "Don't blow up her ego too much, Ma," he cautioned. "I'll never hear the end of it."

    "I want to hear everything," Sandi said with a wave of her hand. "Where did you meet? How long ago?"

    "Aren't Hal, Ryan, and Oliver coming over?" Aubrey asked.

    Destiny nearly laughed out loud at his smooth attempt to change the subject.

    Sandi frowned down at her watch. "We have an hour. I still have food baking in the oven. We have nothing but time." She looked expectantly towards Destiny.

    Destiny's brows shot up. She glanced up at Aubrey.

    He shrugged one shoulder. "Go ahead."

    "I used to work in a bakery in D.C. Just a job I worked while finishing up college. We met there," Destiny explained, turning to face Sandi. "He came in and ordered breakfast."

    "And I was instantly fascinated with her," he finished, looking down at her.

    She lowered her eyes and smiled. "We went on a few dates..." She let the sentence trail off as memories flashed behind her eyes. Sitting on his lap in the limousine, being bent over his piano... She cleared her throat, her cheeks burning up. She could feel Aubrey's eyes on her.

    "I told her that I wanted to keep things casual, which she didn't like," Aubrey said, helping her out.

    She looked up at him. "I didn't know if I was allowed to say that."