Chapter Thirty-Seven: Letters From The Dead

"Katie-Chan catch" Hiroshi Seoul-Oh, Chiyo's twin brother, says making Katie look up from the magazine she and Chiyo were reading. The twins and Katie had become fast friends in the month since she had moved, constantly hanging out at the Garage much to Shawn's Displeasure, but he couldn't say no to Katie. Katie looks up to see Hiroshi Tossing something at her, it doesn't reach her all the way and clanks to the ground, rolling under her bed. She pegs him off making him laugh and gets on the ground to retrieve the object. Her hand paws around underneath, her finger tips brushing over some type of paper, lifting the bed skirt she peers under the bed noticing two dust covered envelopes.

"What the-" She mutters as she drags them out. Brushing the dust off she sees her name written on one of them and Shawn's on the other, The handwriting making her breath stop short, it was Hans. She leans against the bed and draws her legs up close, remembering the night when he had told her he had written a letter to her and her brother. With everything going on she had forgotten all about them, now they were staring at her, their dusty jackets glaring up at her.Chiyo and Hiroshi sit on either side of her and peer at them.

"What is that?" Chiyo asks making her blink up at her.

"Someone from home wrote them, one for me and one for my brother," She whispers, "Hey guys would it be terribly rude if I asked you guys to go home? I have to read this and give the other to my brother, its highly personal." She says hoping they wouldn't get mad. She looks up at Hiroshi and watches as his face softens, and he nods, his twin mirroring him.

"No of course we wont be mad, we'll see you Monday OK?" He says standing up and dusting off his khakis before pulling his sister to hers. She stands up and walks them to her door, smiling as Chiyo gives her a hug.

"Text or call if you need anything OK?" She whispers into her ear. Katie nods and lets her go, waving goodbye as they push open the metal doors and head for the landing. She walks back in and curls up on her bed clutching the envelopes to her chest, afraid to open hers. She wanted to be getting over Han, not reading his words and falling for him all over again, but she knew she had to read it. Sighing she slowly opens the letter, shocked when she sees a letter that was written front and back of the page.

Katie,

Its around 1 in the morning, Today you told me something that made my heart stop. You're leaving for Tokyo because you can't live here anymore. I know why you did it, And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I walked out on you, I regret it everyday. But please understand my point. I love you Katie, I love you more than anyone in this world, But I couldn't stand by and watch you destroy your life, I was so afraid to lose you that I pushed you away thinking if I distanced myself from you than it would hurt less. But I was wrong It hurts more, I feel like my heart has been ripped out, and I know its all my own fault.I don't know how to make it right between us and I'm terrified that I wont ever be able to fix it. Have I lost you forever?

I was just laying here in bed and do you know what popped into my head? That first night We talked when you had a flashback and called yourself a freak. I think it was right then that I fell in love with you, I just didn't know it yet. You weren't a freak, You still aren't. I saw you as a fallen angel striving to get her wings back, her life back. You were my imperfect Fallen angel, and that's what makes you perfect in my eyes. You're such a strong beautiful women Katie, Even if you don't believe it yourself its still the truth. You struggle everyday to survive to not let you're past consume you, you're a fighter. And that's just one of the many things I love about you, You're an independent,( incredibly stubborn) kind hearted women. I could ramble on and on make list after list of all the reasons why I love you but this letter would be a million pages long and I don't have enough paper and all the stores are closed so I can't get more.