Chapter Thirty-Nine: A New Chapter In This Book Called Life

Katie sits in her literature class, staring out the window as Mrs Koda droned on in her native language something that might have been Hamlet, a few words here and there filtering to her brain. She stared out the window as sheets upon sheets of rain beat against it, in time with her pounding headache. Her mind wonders to the conversation she had had this morning with Twinkie. She had woken up to the crash of thunder, the previous nights storm still raging on. When she had sat up her headache began throbbing, reminding her just how much she had drank the night before, then the memories hit. She remembered kissing Twinkie and him with gentleman politeness declining her because he didn't want to take advantage of her while drunk. Heat rises to her cheeks as she brings her fingers to her lips, as his words filter back to her, I like you Katie, I really like you, and if you still want to kiss me in the morning when the liquor is gone then Trust me, I wont stop you. Her blush deepens as she falls back onto her bed with a groan. Did she like Twinkie in that sense? She didn't think so but if she didn't then why did she kiss him? could it have just been the drinks or was it real feelings? She smacks herself in the head. She was never EVER drinking again. She rolls over and scrambles out of bed, hurrying to put n her uniform, opting out of a shower. When she emerges from her room she runs down the hall and pushes out of the metal doors to find Twinkie outcold on the couch, when she turns to the tube beds she finds that all of them were empty. She tiptoes over to him and peers down at him as he slept. In his sleep his features looks so much younger, closer to her age then the five years older that he was. His mouth was slightly opened as soft snores sneak their way out, one arm flung above his head as the other rested on his chest, one leg kicked onto the back of the couch, the other dangling off the couch the top of his shoe hitting the floor. He was handsome in a way Katie never noticed, a flutter in her stomach making her gasp.

"Good Morning." A sleep riddled voice says making her eyes fly to his, that were now wide open and starring intently at her. Her cheeks redden as she moves out of the way for him to sit up , giving her just enough room to sit down next to him. She sat down and draw her legs up close to her body, the silence falling around them like a suffocating blanket. " How's the head?" He whispers softly. She peeks at him from the corner of her eye and sees that he was still lounging on the chair, his back against the armrest and his feet just inches from her thigh. She looks over at him and gives him a shy smile, one he returns just as shy.

"To be honest it hurts like hell." She said making him laugh. "Twink?" She said as his laughter stopped. "About last night I-" He waved it off.

" Don't worry about it, you were drunk and out of your mind right?" He said nonchalantly, but not before she could see a flash of pain cross his face. She shakes her head, wincing at the stabbing pain of the hang over.

"That's not what i was going to say at all." She says turning her body to face him. " I Love Han," she says seeing his body sag, "I'll always love Han, he has a part of me and I don't think that will ever change." She said watching his body sag as he nods his head, "Hey let me finish, I like you too Twinkie, But Right now I need to focus on getting better, and finishing school. I don't want to lead you on or hurt you because i can't give you all of my heart. Does that make sense?" She says her voice fading to a whisper. Twinkie just smiles and pats her leg.

"Yeah It makes perfect sense, and I respect that, In a way you are already taken, plus I don't want to try and steal my man Han's girl." He says in total understanding. She smiles and Leans over to hug him. Letting go he eyes go to her hand and he points at it. "Did he give you that?" He asks. She looks down and sees the calada ring, the ALexandrite glittering in the florescent light. She holds out her hand so he can look at it as she nods. "It's nice, he must really love you, that's a real Alexandrite, they're rare." He says letting her hand go, the fluttering in her stomach quieting as his touch fades. "Hey you need to get to school, just let me get dressed and I'll take you OK?" He says and jumps u p, heading over to his Tube bunk and grabbing clothes out of it, heading to the back rooms to take a shower. Katie leans her head back and closes her eyes, dozing off until Twinkie comes back to bring her to school.