T•H•I•R•T•Y-F•I•V•E

•----------•
Mason Moretti
•----------•

•----------• Mason Moretti•----------•

[Flashback: 2 years ago]

When I woke up my head felt like someone had just bashed a metal bat into my skull. My vision was blurry and everything doubled in amount. I ran my hand over my face, feeling the skin get pulled by iv cords that were pricked into my skin.

"Mason?" The voice echoed inside my head. Rattling against the bones. "Mason Moretti. I'm officer McNelly, I need to speak with you if you are able." I pressed the palm of my hands into the bed so I could prop myself up.

I squinted at the officer so I saw less of them. "Yeah. Uh— sure go ahead."

"I want to inform you, on behalf of the Holdens. That they will not press charges." My heart started to beat irregularly against my chest. "And with that I must inform you that two people were inside that car. One a father and one a son. Unfortunately, ten year old Oliver Holden passed away before the emts could get to him..."

Everything hurt it felt like my heart had been dragged out of my chest and brutal murdered. Then they came back to feast on my bloody flesh because the damage wasn't enough. I swallowed hard, multiple times so that I could no longer do it. I— I killed a little boy. How? No. I pulled the iv's out of me and attempted to stand from my bed. To my unlucky circumstances the police officer pushed me back down. Restraining my arms above my head.

"I have to apologize! I didn't mean it! Do you hear me! I didn't mean it!" I bucked my hips against the officer. There was no use in denying the tears that had fallen from my pathetic eyes. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry!" I begged but it was no use. There was no one who would listen to me. It was over.

I was cleared from the hospital a week later. I immediately threw Victoria's shit out of my apartment and went to search for a house to buy. But I had one place to stop by before I looked at a house with my mamma. I pulled into the cemetery and walked around to the fresh headstone.

R.I.P Oliver Marcus Holden.
Son, brother, grandson, nephew and cousin.
A soul to remember.
October 1, 2009 — June 22, 2020

I placed down some flowers and stared at the stone before sighing, turning around and walking away.

[Present]

My body jerked, making me press my hips into the body that laid halfway across my chest. Anastasia groaned and rolled to her side. The blankets swallowed her in their embrace. I quietly exited the bed and tucked the comforter back in place. I walked around the bed to her bathroom.

I gathered my clothes from yesterday and pulled them on. They were still rather wet but I had no other option. When I walked back in, Anastasia had taken over the whole bed. A laugh fell from my lips as I leaned over and gave her a kiss on the head. I stumbled away dumbfounded by my actions. I blinked repeatedly to regain my composure before walking out of her bedroom.