The second closest I've come to murder.

After our little spat, and father helping them to get out of the hospital, I received a lot of flak for my decisions. Yet despite it all, Esme and Alice were the voice of reason while I sat quietly letting everyone yell it out before I spoke, gently petting Natsuki in my lap. "If you guys are done." 

My voice cut through the yelling immediately, seemingly silencing the two factions that had formed. "I do not regret what I did. She would have been an unnecessary casualty.  Now, if my actions are gonna cause such a rift, then I think we need to examine ourselves. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed." 

That was one of the downsides of being a hybrid, I still required some sort of rest. Though, through the training I was doing, I was taking on more and more of my vampire qualities, sleep was one that persisted. Though my need for it dwindled. Like tonight, I was just going to lie in my bed and close my eyes, waiting away the night. However this night was different. Although I was semi-awake, I was dreaming. Bella featured in these dreams, a cold, dark and dreary setting, and would run away from me. No matter how I called or ran, she remained out of reach. Over the next month, she would always be there, existing in the periphery, never quiet in focus. Even during my shifting, she plagued my already troubled sleep.

Contently, the week after the incident I was left alone. Bella didn't have an opportunity to question me further and I was left alone by the masses. However, it was then too that I noticed how much I actually missed the brunettes' presence in class, and on the corridors. However, much to my chagrin, instead of work, she would be occupying my thoughts more often then not. I had tried to speak to her, especially after the incident, after I'd cooled off a bit; however, she was swept away by a crowd, and I slinked back into the shadows, despite her apologetic look. 

One person, unfortunately, took this as a sign of coolness between myself and my lab partner. And it's the second closest I've come to murder, having to stand his smug look. If only he had an inkling of the power I had. He grew more confident, sitting on the desk with his bag separating myself and Bella, talking to her whilst I tried my best to ignore him. The snow washed away for good after that one dangerously icy day. Mike was disappointed he'd never gotten to stage his snowball fight, but pleased that the beach trip would soon be possible. I wasn't sure I would still be invited, so I kept my peace. However, one event loomed on the horizon..." 

Much to my joy and worry, Mike was unusually quiet. Uncharacteristic of me, I asked him what had him down. With much reluctance and suspicion, he found himself ranting out to me; which after a small smile, I told him to just roll with it, which seemed to ease his mind. A pity, since he resumed his incessant talking.

Mike was still quiet as he walked with Bella to class, the uncomfortable look on his face a bad sign. But he didn't broach the subject until I was in my seat and he was perched on my desk. As always, I was electrically aware of Bella sitting close enough to touch, as distant as if she were merely an invention of my imagination.

"So," Mike said, looking at the floor, "Jessica asked me to the spring dance."

"That's great." Her voice bright and enthusiastic. "You'll have a lot of fun with Jessica."

"Well..." He floundered as he examined our table, clearly not happy with her response. "I told her I had to think about it."

"Why would you do that?" She let her disapproval known in her tone.

His face was bright red as he looked down again.

"I was wondering if... well, if you might be planning to ask me."

I paused for a moment, watching her face carefully out the corner of my eye, feeling sick in my gut. I saw, from the corner of my eye, Bella's head tilt reflexively in my direction.

"Mike, I think you should tell her yes," she said.

"Did you already ask someone?" Did Bella notice how Mike's eyes flickered in my direction? Of course she would have, she's observant. 

"No," she assured him. "I'm not going to the dance at all."

"Why not?" Mike demanded.

I didn't want to get into the safety hazards that dancing presented, so I quickly made new plans.

"I'm going to Seattle that Saturday," she lied, her heartbeat picking up. 

"Can't you go some other weekend?"

"Sorry, no," she said. "So you shouldn't make Jess wait any longer — it's rude."

"Yeah, you're right," he mumbled, and turned, dejected, to walk back to his seat. I closed my eyes and pressed my fingers to my temples, trying to push the relief and sympathy out of my head. Mr. Banner began talking. I sighed and opened my eyes.

And Bella was staring at me curiously, that same, familiar edge of frustration even more distinct now in her green eyes.

I stared back, surprised, expecting her to look quickly away. But instead she continued to gaze with probing intensity into my eyes. There was no question of me looking away. My hands started to shake.

"Mr. Cullen?" the teacher called, seeking the answer to a question that I vaguely heard.

"The Krebs Cycle," I answered, reluctantly looking away as I turned to look at Mr. Banner. Looking down at my book as soon as her eyes released me, trying to find my place. 

When the bell rang at last, I turned my back to her to gather my things, expecting her to leave immediately as that is what she had made a norm.

"Y/n?" Her voice shouldn't have been so familiar to me, as if I'd known the sound of it all my life rather than for just a few short weeks.

I turned slowly, unwillingly. I didn't want to feel what I knew I would feel when I looked at her 
too-perfect face. My expression was wary when I finally turned to her ; her expression was unreadable.

She didn't say anything.

"What? Are you speaking to me again?" I finally asked, an unintentional note of petulance in my voice.

Her lips twitched, fighting a smile. "And if I was?" Guilt flooded her voice as she stood in front of me.

I closed my eyes and inhaled slowly through my nose, aware that I was gritting my teeth. She waited.

"Then what do you want, Isabella?" I asked, keeping my eyes closed; it was easier to talk to her
coherently that way. However, what she did next surprised me. Taking me by the hand, she led me out of the school, ignoring all of the looks she got and to her truck. I'm surprised she was still standing, considering her heart rate. She reached into her truck and handed me a small wrapped box.

"I wanted to give you this. I...I know its late, but Alice mentioned your birthday a while ago and well...I thought-", "Why?" Looking up from the gift in my hands I could see my question caught her off guard. Not giving her a chance to answer, I opened the package. A smile made its way onto my face as the gift was revealed. I could vaguely hear Bella rambling away. She had gotten my a necklace with an onyx crystal, and a small card that said 'Happy Birthday!' in fancy writing. I admired the necklace, warmth filling me. 

"Thank you...this is gorgeous." My comment cut her off mid-sentence, a light blush gracing her cheeks as she sheepishly rubbed her arm, a cute smile on her face. "You're welcome."