Meet the family....

"What's got you so anxious Bell?" I looked over as she fiddled with her fingers. 

"I'm worried."

"Look there isn't anything they will do to you while I'm around; I-"

"It's not that..." I frowned at her words, the cogs of my brain slowly ticking over the answer.

"I'm sorry, you're worried, not because you're headed to meet a houseful of vampires, but because you think those vampires won't approve of you, correct?"

"That's right," She answered quickly, looking over to me. "You're incredible."

I smiled at her comment, and her expression as she looked over the house.

"Wow."

"You like it?" 

"It... has a certain charm." She spoke with a hint of awe. I rolled my eyes and gently flicked her head with a chuckle. Making my way over to her side, I opened the door; standing in the way briefly. "You ready?" 

"Not even a little bit — let's go." She laughed a little, but it was short and nervous. She began to smooth her hair and I could hear her heart rate pick up. 

"You look lovely Bell, I promise." I slipped my hand into hers with out thought, as easily as breathing; rubbing my thumb gently against hers.

Bella POV. 

I couldn't believe this was happening, here I was with perhaps the most amazing being on the planet; and here he was, opening the door of his house, that was filled with the most dangerous creatures in existence excluding himself; yet I felt completely safe.

The inside was even more surprising, less predictable, than the exterior. It was very bright, very open, and very large. This must have originally been several rooms, but the walls had been removed from most of the first floor to create one wide space. The back, south-facing wall had been entirely replaced with glass, and, beyond the shade of the cedars, the lawn stretched bare to the wide river. A massive curving staircase dominated the west side of the room. The walls, the high-beamed ceiling, the wooden floors, and the thick carpets were all varying shades of white.

Waiting to greet us, standing just to the left of the door, on a raised portion of the floor by a spectacular rand piano, were Y/n's parents and Edward.

I'd seen Dr. Cullen before, of course, yet I couldn't help but be struck again by his youth, his outrageous perfection. At his side was Esme, I assumed, the only one of the family I'd never seen before. She had the same pale, beautiful features as the rest of them. Something about her heart-shaped face, her billows of soft, caramel-colored hair, reminded me of the ingénues of the silent-movie era. She was small, slender, yet less angular, more rounded than the others. They were both dressed casually, in light colors that matched the inside of the house. They smiled in welcome, but made no move to approach us. Trying not to frighten me, I guessed. Edward smiled waved a little. 

"Carlisle, Esme," Y/n's voice broke the short silence, "this is Bella."

"You're very welcome, Bella." Carlisle's step was measured, careful as he approached me. He raised his hand tentatively, and I stepped forward to shake hands with him.

"It's nice to see you again, Dr. Cullen."

"Please, call me Carlisle."

"Carlisle." I grinned at him, my sudden confidence surprising me. I could feel Y/n's relief at my side.

Esme smiled and stepped forward as well, reaching for my hand. Her cold, stone grasp was just cooler than Y'n's.

"It's very nice to know you," she said sincerely.

"Thank you. I'm glad to meet you, too." And I was. It was like meeting a fairy tale — Snow White, in the flesh. "I'm sure you've already met Edward?" 

I nodded as we too, shook hands. 

"Where are Alice and Jasper?" Y/n asked, but no one answered, as they had just appeared at the
top of the wide staircase.

"Hey, Y/n!" Alice called enthusiastically. She ran down the stairs, a streak of black hair and white
skin, coming to a sudden and graceful stop in front of me. Carlisle and Esme shot warning glances at her, but I liked it. It was natural — for her, anyway.

"Hi, Bella!" Alice said, and she bounced forward to kiss my cheek. If Carlisle and Esme had looked cautious before, they now looked staggered. There was shock in my eyes, too, but I was also very pleased that she seemed to approve of me so entirely. "Hey what about me?"