I promise...always

*** Nearly done; let me know if you guys want me to continue. AND if you want me to do one with Alice. Sorry for the absence, had some irl nonsense going on. Here we go.****

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Bella POV**

My eyes opened to a bright, white light. I was in an unfamiliar room, a white room. The wall beside me was covered in long vertical blinds; over my head, the glaring lights blinded me. I was propped up on a hard, uneven bed — a bed with rails. The pillows were flat and lumpy. There was an annoying beeping sound somewhere close by. I hoped that meant I was still alive. Death shouldn't be this uncomfortable.

My hands were all twisted up with clear tubes, and something was taped across my face, under my nose.

I lifted my hand to rip it off.

"I wouldn't do that love." And soft fingers caught my hand.

"Y/n?" I turned my head slightly, and his exquisite face was just inches from mine, his chin resting on the edge of my pillow. I realized again that I was alive, this time with gratitude and elation. "Oh, Y/n, I'm so sorry!"

"Shhhh," he shushed me, gently brushing my cheek with his hand. "Everything's all right now."

"What happened?" I couldn't remember clearly, and my mind rebelled against me as I tried to recall.

"I was almost too late. I could have been too late," he whispered, his voice tormented.

"I was so stupid, Y/n. I thought he had my mom."

"He tricked us all. And that's saying a lot, considering what I do for almost a living."

"I need to call Charlie and my mom," I realized through the haze.

"It's okay, Alice called them. Renée is here — well, here in the hospital. She's getting something to eat right now."

"She's here?" I tried to sit up, but the spinning in my head accelerated, and his hand pushed me gently down onto the pillows.

"She'll be back soon," he promised. "And you need lie the fuck down Sunshine."

"But what did you tell her?" I panicked. I had no interest in being soothed. My mom was here and I was recovering from a vampire attack. "Why did you tell her I'm here?"

"The most plausible thing I could think of. You fell down two flights of stairs and through a window." He paused, then added with a smile; a fake one, but a smile none the less. "You have to admit, it could happen."

I sighed, and it hurt. I stared down at my body under the sheet, the huge lump that was my leg.

"How bad am I?" I asked.

"Well. You have a broken leg, four broken ribs, some cracks in your skull, bruises covering every inch of your skin, and you've lost a lot of blood. They gave you a few transfusions. I didn't like it — it made you smell all wrong for a while."

"That must have been a nice change for you."

"Hell nah, I like how you smell."

"How did you do it?" I asked quietly. He knew what I meant at once.

"I blocked my nose and counted to 10?" He chuckled gently, lifting my gauze-wrapped hand from the bed and holding it gently to his lips, careful not to disrupt the wire connecting me to one of the monitors as he kissed my hand gently.

I waited patiently for the rest.

He sighed without returning my gaze. "It was difficult, to say the least. But, with the taste of Morphine and the fact that you were going to live; that I had hope," he whispered. "I managed." 

 He looked up finally, with half a smile. "I must love you."

"Don't I taste as good as I smell?" I smiled in response. That hurt my face.

"Even better — better than I'd imagined."

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

He raised his eyes to the ceiling. "Of all the things to apologize for."

"What should I apologize for?"

"For very nearly taking yourself away from me forever. And almost dying." His eyes formed a soft, hurt glare at the last part.

"I'm sorry," I apologized again.

"I know why you did it." His voice was comforting. "It was still stupid, of course. You should have waited for me, you should have told me."

"You wouldn't have let me go."

"No," he agreed in a grim tone, "I wouldn't have let you go alone, with out back up. There is always another way. Always."

Some very unpleasant memories were beginning to come back to me. I shuddered, and then winced.

He was instantly anxious. "Bella, what's wrong?"

"What happened to James?"

"After I pulled him off you, I turned...we had a bit of a one sided fight. I killed him, Emmett, Ed and Jasper; after pulling me off of him so I could help you, finished him off ." There was a fierce note of regret in his voice.

This confused me. "I didn't see Emmett and Jasper there."

"They had to leave the room... there was a lot of blood."

"But you stayed."

"Of course I stayed."

"And Alice, and Carlisle..." I said in wonder.

"They love you, too, you know."

A flash of painful images from the last time I'd seen Alice reminded me of something.