The occasion

Y/n helped me into his car, being very careful of the wisps of silk and chiffon, the flowers he'd just pinned into my elaborately styled curls, and my bulky walking cast. He ignored the angry set of my mouth. A smarmy, smug smirk on his face as he leaned on the car for a moment, "See? I always win." 

Rolling my eyes, I had to work really hard to suppress a smile. When he had me settled, he got in the driver's seat and headed back out the long, narrow drive.

"At what point exactly are you going to tell me what's going on?" I asked grumpily, crossing my arms in what I hoped was a pout. I really hated
surprises. And he knew that. Not that it seemed to change much as his smile grew more, a sarcastic tone dripping off of his words. 

"I'm shocked that you haven't figured it out yet." He threw a mocking crooked smile in my direction, and my breath caught in my throat. 

"I did mention that you looked very nice, didn't I?" I verified.

"Yes." He grinned again. I'd never seen him dress in black before, and, with the contrast against his pale skin, his beauty was absolutely surreal. That much I couldn't deny, even if the fact that he was wearing a tuxedo made me very nervous. What added to the nerves was the way his hair, a wet but neat look, waved off to the right whilst his muscles pushed against the form fitting shirt, subtly highlighting his physic. 

But it was not quite as nerve racking as the dress. Or the shoe. Only one shoe, as my other foot was still securely encased in plaster. But the stiletto heel, held on only by satin ribbons, certainly wasn't going to help me as I tried to hobble around.

"I'm not coming over anymore if Alice is going to treat me like Guinea Pig Barbie when I do," I griped. I'd spent the better part of the day in Alice's staggeringly vast bathroom, a helpless victim as she played hairdresser and cosmetician. Whenever I fidgeted or complained, she reminded me that she didn't have any memories of being human, and asked me not to ruin her vicarious fun. Then she'd dressed me in the most ridiculous dress — deep blue, frilly and off the shoulders, with French tags I couldn't read — a dress more suitable for a runway than Forks. Nothing good could come of our formal attire, of that I was sure. Unless... but I was afraid to put my suspicions into words, even in my own head.

I was distracted then by the sound of a phone ringing. Y/n pulled his cell phone from a pocket inside his jacket, looking briefly at the caller ID before answering.

"Hello, Charlie," he said in his 'official persons' tone.

"Charlie?" I frowned.

Charlie had been... difficult since my return to Forks. He had compartmentalized my bad experience into two defined reactions. Toward Carlisle and Y/n, he was almost worshipfully grateful. On the other hand, he was stubbornly convinced that Edward was at fault — because, if not for his 'threatening' me, I wouldn't have left home and Y/n in the first place. And Edward was far from disagreeing with him. Y/n tried to broker peace but so often it fell on deaf ears. 

Something Charlie was saying made Y/n's eyes widen in disbelief, and then a grin spread across his face.

"You're kidding!" He laughed.

"What is it?" I demanded.

He gave me a wink before resuming his conversation. "Why don't you let me talk to him?" Y/n suggested with evident pleasure. He waited for a few seconds.

"Good evening, Tyler, this is Y/n Cullen." His voice was very friendly, on the surface. I knew it well enough to catch the soft edge of menace. What was Tyler doing at my house? The awful truth began to dawn on me. I looked again at the inappropriate dress Alice had forced me into.

"I'm sorry if there's been some kind of miscommunication, but Bella is unavailable tonight." Y/n's tone changed, and the threat and force in his voice was suddenly much more evident as he continued. "To be perfectly honest, she'll be unavailable every night, as far as anyone besides myself is concerned. No offense. And I'm sorry about your evening." 

He didn't sound sorry at all. And then he snapped the phone shut, a huge smirk on his face, muttering 'dumbass' under his breath. 

My face and neck flushed crimson with anger. I could feel the rage-induced tears starting to fill my eyes. He looked at me in surprise. "Was that last part a bit too much? I didn't mean to offend you."