Fifty-One

The week following the interview had been a whirlwind for Zach. His social media accounts were congested with questions and concerns about the book idea. His manager and the publishing company had been blowing up his phone with interview dates, release timelines, and other proposals such as book tours. After five relentless days of worrying about it all he finally had had enough, informing his manager that he was taking a personal day away from his phone and turning it off for twenty-four hours. Thus far it had been a relief, except for one nagging thought in the back of his head. And that thought is what has propelled him to not only get ready for the day, but also to leave his house and venture across town to the porch he is now standing on, knocking since the deadbolt is locked.

"Zach?" He can see the surprise on Matt's face as the door swings inward.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a minute? I was trying to have a relaxing day with my phone off, but I kept getting a nagging feeling that I should check in with you guys about everything. I guess I just want to make sure it's all okay, that you're still fine with everything I've said and what's happened so far." He offers nervously.

"Come on in." Matt nods, "I actually kind of wanted to talk to you too, but wasn't sure if I should reach out, I know you're busy right now."

"Holy hell, so busy. And honestly it's a lot less fun when I don't have the band to do it all with. Plus, I literally have the world after me." Zach sighs, taking the seltzer Matt offers from the fridge as they reach the kitchen.

"You are the one who wanted to do it." Matt laughs.

"You are glad I did." Zach fires back.

"Eternally." Matt nods, "And I am ready to make sure the world knows that."

"How's Milo doing with it all? He still won't talk to me, at least not really."

"HE's hurt, but I think he's coming through it. He finally opened the book, not sure how far he got into it, but at least he's at a point he's finally trying. We've talked about it a lot, and I am confident he just needs some time to digest it all."

"Good. LoLo has taken it really hard, the way he is reacting."

"Ya, we've discussed it. I keep telling her to just be patient, but she has never been very good at that." Matt chuckles.

"Am I interrupting something?" Milo asks, appearing at the end of the hallway into the room.

"Hey, I just came to talk, I wanted to make sure you are both doing okay. I know how hard you've been taking everything. And I want to make sure we are all communicating through the process of this book release." Zach smiles over his shoulder.

"I don't know if I have any answers for you, Zach. Or if you'll like them if I do answer right now. I am trying, and I don't know why I'm taking it so hard, but I am really struggling with the fact that LoLo is Lyss, and that she lied to me for months." Milo sighs, pulling the fridge open to grab a beer for himself.

"It's okay, Milo. I'm glad you're being honest with me about it." Zach nods.

"I don't hate you, Zach, and I don't hate LoLo."

"I know that, Milo."

"Good. Oh, and thank you, for the way I am portrayed in the book, for truly sharing LoLo's views on who we were in high school, but also sharing how outcast we were to the general population. You wrote that well."

"I wrote her story, I hope you aren't surprised to find it is exactly how she felt and saw things through the entirety of the events of her life, including those that involve the two of you."