Fifty-Five

"I am so sorry!" LoLo bursts from her car haphazardly, keys swinging one direction while her purse goes the other.

"It's your appointments we are running late for, don't apologize to me." Zach laughs, pushing off the bench he'd been waiting for her on.

"I hope we can still get in to see this place." She groans, hitting the lock button to her car as she hurries towards the door, Zach right behind her.

"How can I help you today?" A middle aged man is sitting behind the desk in the lobby of the building.

"I'm late, but I have an appointment to see Apartment 1202, it should be under Lauren Anderson. I'm hoping we can still check it out."

"Of course, I'll take you up myself." He nods, unlocking a safe below his desk and producing a ring with two keys. "Follow me."

"LoLo, you seem flustered." Zach comments, grabbing her shoulder to get her to slow slightly.

"I kind of am. Sorry, it's been a weird as fuck morning." She sighs, trying to take a deep and calming breath.

"Just relax, nothing has to be decided today, let's just see if anything on our list catches your eye. No more stress." His smile seems to be tainted with amusement, no doubt about her frazzled energy.

"Right." She nods once, her mind instantly overthinking and applying his 'nothing has to be decided today' to her earlier conversation with Matt.

"Alright, this apartment is a single story home with a rooftop terrace and two bedrooms. It was entirely remodeled two years ago and has state of the art appliances and hookups, including extra soundproofing and a full sound system throughout, with Bluetooth connection. There is also a private spa on the terrace."

"Fancy."' Zach responds, following LoLo out of the elevator on the twelfth floor, a space small enough to not even be considered a hallway greeting them with two doors, the numbers 1201 and 1202 each posted beside one.

"Right this way." The older man smiles as he unlocks the door to the right, letting them pass in front of him into the space.

"Wow, it's very..." LoLo's incomplete thought trails off as she takes in the space. All the walls are stark white, as are the cabinets, and the countertops across the room are a beautiful while marble.

"White?" Zach seems to finish her thoughts for her, his eyes caught up on the far wall of windows beyond the living room space.

"A modern and sophisticated feel, with pristine lighting and an unbeatable brightness. The master suite is over there, and a guest room and second bath is here." It's obvious the sales guy can pick up on their distaste for such a monotone color scheme, trying to point them towards other aspects of the space.

"I think I've seen enough, it's not what I am looking for. The photos online really didn't capture its full personality." LoLo spins on her heels heading back out the door they just entered.

"There may be something we could work out, new paint maybe? Or having the cabinets or floors refinished." The salesman is hot on her heels.

"No thank you, if I have a change of heart I'll let you know though." She offers before a rather stiff silence filling the elevator as the three of them descend to the ground floor.

Zach silently follows LoLo out of the building and to her car, slipping into the passenger seat and closing the door before letting out a loud laugh. "Guess it's okay you were late then?" He states once he's gained control again.

"That place was so not me." LoLo lets out a giggle, starting the car and putting it into drive.

"Did it give you a headache? With the amount of white your eyes we're trying to take in?"