Chapter 12: Day 2

Percy's PoV

I turned around slowly towards the shadow looming behind me. Before I could get even a glimpse of the creature I was tackled to the ground. I closed my eyes and put my hands up in defense.

I heard Nico call my name, while I was preparing for the worst, to be torn to pieces.

But something unexpected happened. Instead of being torn to pieces I was met with an oversized wet tongue licking my face. When I looked up I saw a big black hellhound staring at me with friendly eyes.

"Mrs. O'Leary!" I was glad it was her but it wasn't fun to be drooled on from an hellhound the size of an tank. So I tried to push her off a little but she didn't move. She started licking my face again.

"Yeah-I am- also-glad to-see -you -girl!" I was always interrupted by her tongue sliding over my face. I looked over to Nico who seemed really relieved.

"Don't just stand there! Help me!" Nico looked at me and a smirk appeared on his face.

"You look fine to me..." I glared at him for a moment and then tried to stand up again. After about 5 minutes I finally did it. Now there was only one thing that bothered me...

"How did you get here?"

She tilted her head a bit as if she didn't understand it. I wanted to ask again but was interrupted by an eerie scream. It came from the same direction Mrs. O'Leary came from. I saw Nico's eyes widen in realization.

"The pit room! It leads directly to Tartarus. The monsters are coming through there!"

I rolled my eyes. "Thank you Captain Obvious... Anyway lets get out of here!" We started running, but Mrs. O'Leary had quite the problems with that she was far to big to actually fit in these tunnels.

Every time she touched a wall it made an impact shaking the ground. She really wasn't bothered by that at all, jumping around joyfully.

"Can't you grow a bit smaller, girl?" She seemed to have understood cause she began shrinking into a small black puppy. Not that small... I hadn't much time to complain as the screams got louder, so I picked her up and we ran again.

"Percy! Just make a wall appear or something."

"Well genius you also know how to do that?"

"I don't know just do it!" We ran out of the tunnel into a great hall. I slid around coming to a halt.

I concentrated. The screams got louder. The earth trembled. I had my hand stretched out trying to get the tunnel shut. That was pretty hard considering I had no idea what I was doing.

"Come on! Move!" I shouted. I already saw the first monsters running towards us. I concentrated harder. Move!

Suddenly blocks came out of the walls of the tunnel, one behind another. From above, beneath and the sides it blocked the way. Where the entrance has been just a second ago, there was now a massive wall.

"Phew. That was close..." I sighed with relief and fell backwards to the ground. Nico stood panting against an old Greek pillar. Mrs O'Leary jumped around barking happily. I then looked around the hall.

It was a really big hall. On each side of it were pillars holding the ceiling which had paintings on it. Between them were statues of all the Olympian gods made of mamor and at the other end of the hall sat Zeus and Hera in their thrones. The hall was lit through torches on the pillars. It was a really impressive sight.

"Whoa. This ones new..." I said. Nico looked up at me questioningly, but understood as he turned around.

"Yep definitely new." We walked around in the room for a while. I examined the statues. I stopped at the statue of Artemis, as I got a strange feeling looking at it. It was a beautiful statue of her, but she looked even more beautiful in reality.