10

"Oh, you're up." My aunt sounded shocked. "Are you going to work?" She asked, and I nodded. "I wasn't going to, but I don't want MaRadebe to struggle with Bab'Dlamini. He's very stubborn when it comes to his medication, and it gives her a lot of stress." My aunt nodded. "I'm proud of you." I smiled to myself.

I didn't compromise on my clothing. I put on a long sleeve crop top with a matching skintight highwaist skirt. I put on sandals this time and covered my head again.

I was early, but I went to go knock at their door anyway. "Thandi!" Ma grabbed me and hugged me tightly. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" She kissed me on my cheek and pulled me into the house. I started on their morning tea. "What's all the noise..." It was Senzo. He had dumb smile on his face. His smile disappeared when his wife joined him.

"So, are you back?" I bowed my head. "Yebo, Baba. I've prepared tea and then I'll start on breakfast." He nodded, and they joined ma at the table. I went to go wake up his father and helped him to the table. He was really struggling this morning. "We're almost there." I helped him sit in the chair, but he didn't seem comfortable.

"How's the chair, Baba?" He shook his head. "Too hard. Can you help me to the lounge so I can sit on the couch?" I agreed, but Senzo insisted on taking him. I fixed the pillows the way he liked it, and everyone joined him in the lounge. I put everything on a tray and served him his tea.

"Thandi, don't make oats today. Just make soft porridge. My throat doesn't feel good." I nodded and prepared their breakfast. I brought out a bowl of water and went on my knees and held the bowl so they could wash their hands. Senzo's wife Mbali looked surprised.

"Bab'Dlamin,  do you want me to crush your medication and mix it into your porridge." He nodded. Heseemedd very weak. I did so and continued with my work. I was busy with lunch when Mbali walked into the kitchen. "I'll be done soon, ma." I said to her. She glared at me. "Whatever game you think you're playing, trust me, you won't win. A girl who dresses like you doesn't act like this."

I just kept my head down and carried on. I got through the day with Mbali following the whole day. I served dinner and then went home. I walked into chaos. My aunt was on the couch screaming in pain, and the boys were crying because their mom was too. "I got everything. Thank God you're here. Thandi, the baby is coming. We've got to go. Please look after the boys." I nodded and helped them to the car. The people in our neighborhood were so nosey that they were all outside again. "Good luck, Ma!" She just screamed in pain, and they sped off.

"Is the baby coming?" MaRadebe asked. "Yes, Ma. In a few hours, you'll have a brother." I said to the screaming baby on my hip. I took his brothers hand and walked them back into the house. I eventually got them to stop crying. I chased them around the house until they were exhausted, and then they fell asleep. I woke up extra early the next morning. My aunt was still in labor, but MaRadebe was extremely excited to be spending time with the boys.

Sizwe and Thabo Jr had the best time with MaRadebe and Bab'Dlamini. By lunchtime, Mbali had to go. All of us were relieved. Senzo also seemed more relaxed. I got a message from Thabo, and it was a picture of the new baby.

"Ma, he's here. The baby is here." I showed ma the picture. He was beautiful. He was the exact copy of his brothers. "What's his name?" Ma asked, so I asked Thabo. "Lethu." I answered when I saw the text. "Sizwe, Jr., come see the baby." I showed them the picture. Sizwe didn't understand because he wasn't even one yet, and Jr wasn't interested.

They stayed in hospital one more night, and we waited for them outside the next morning. Thabo carried the baby inside, and I helped Ma. "How are you feeling?" She just sighed. "Tired." We sat, and I held the new baby. I spent some time with them but I had to go back to work. I took the boys with me. Sizwe was sleeping on my back, and Jr was keeping Ma and Baba company.

"Baby, we need to talk." I sighed when I heard him say that. "We lied." I said, continuing to cut the vegetables. "I know, but we had to. I asked you to be my girlfriend because I wanted you to know how serious I was about you. Baby, I love you. It was love at first site for me. I know you can't say it back yet, but I know you will grow to love me too.
I just need you to know that I'm serious about you.
I love you and I'm going to marry you."