90

Baba and I spent a week at a game lodge. Baba talked the family out of letting me stay with them after the wedding. Traditionally, a Makoti would stay with her in-laws and cook and clean for them after the wedding. Even though I would do it in a heartbeat, Senzo didn't want anything affecting my full recovery. He was adamant about me going back to school next year. Him and my mother were constantly reminding me I needed to get back normal and be healthy before I went to school.

The week at the lodge was amazing. We were in the spa every day, we went out and saw the animals we even slept under the stars. Making love under the stars while surrounded by wild animals was something I never imagined doing one day. Senzo wanted to stay another week, but I didn't want to keep him from his children that long.

Senzo found two homes that were close to MaKhumalo. I just needed to look at them and choose one. I was excited about it. I loved my apartment, and I didn't really get to live in it for long, but these changes in my life were good changes. I decided to embrace them.

We spent our first day back at my apartment without letting anyone know we were coming back. Senzo said he told everyone we would be back the next day. I was getting ready for dinner at MaKhumalo's when Senzo walked in. "You are beautiful. Maybe we should just skip dinner." I shook my head. "Baba, no. Our families will be there. They've put a lot of planning into this ." He sighed dramatically. "Fine." I finished flat ironing my hair and then put on my hat. It was a traditional Zulu hat but a smaller one. It was brown and matched my dress. I was wearing a brown high collar long sleeve dress and some heels.

"This dress reminds me of the clothes you wore when we first met. You drove me crazy and it's only getting worse." We kissed, and I had to stop him before anything happened. We took a few photos on the balcony that I posted on the car ride over. I started becoming more active online. It's not like I had anything else to do anyway.

We got to the house, and we were met with the family singing. We joined and danced inside all the way to the dining room. It wasn't a big group of people. Just my mother, her sister-wife and husband, and Senzo elders, mother, and obviously all the wives. We were given well wishes and words of motivation by the elders. Everyone mentioned babies, and I tried not to make it awkward. MaRadebe had a long, drawn-out speech where she went on and on about how I was the Makoti she's always prayed for and how we should forgive and look after her. The wives and I had several drinks while she carried on. One of Senzo's uncle's had to stop her with a joke about how the food was getting cold, and we finally ate.

My family left, and Senzo drove Ma home after dinner. Most of the elders went to bed. I was sitting by the pool with the wives drinking champagne. I was off of most of my medication. I was just on pills for my hypertension. So I was having a couple of glasses. "The wedding was amazing. My favourite part was the outfit changes. The morning you went into the kraal with the long cape or train... Oh my god. It was beautiful. Was it real?" MaMlambo asked. "Yes, it was my mother's. My grandmother passed it down to me, and I decided to honor my mom by wearing it at the most important part of the ceremony."

"My favourite part was the gifts. I was so confused when the truck pulled up because no farming was happening at the time. I thought the ceremony was ruined. Then, all of a sudden, your brothers started packing it out. What made you get such expensive gifts?" MaGumede asked. "I want to know too." Baba said, joining us. "Those gifts were a little too specific as well. You don't really know anyone." I was a bit confused. "Baba, that was on the list my family was given. The only things that weren't on the list were parts of Gogo's gift and the gifts that I gave you guys."

"Oh, I knew something was up." I looked behind me to see Gogo. "I knew something wasn't right. Did you say that's the list you got?" I nodded. "Yebo, Gogo."
"Was it a new list you got specifically for this ceremony, or was it the old list?" She came to sit with us. "We got a new list, Gogo." She narrowed her eyes at me. "I didn't approve a new list. You were supposed to use the old list, and I just sent names to be added. Who gave you the list?" This was getting weird. "MaRadebe delivered it to my mother's house."