Sixth Chapter - Job offer

Alex

Amber and I ended the evening with another goodbye kiss. Amber went home and I went to my apartment. In London, I owned enough wine bars and enough buildings not to worry about where I would sleep.

I didn't want to go back to Sicily. I wanted to be with Amber. Yes, after everything that has happened between us, it must sound strange. But after all that, I realized that she was the one who saw something good in me from the beginning.

I'm not saying I'm going to profess her endless love, but I definitely loved her. And I knew again that Amber had changed. She's definitely not the naive girl I met years ago.

It came to me like a leech. Yes, I admit, I'm an aśshole. I know many of you think and I don't blame you. After all, I am him too.

Now Amber was confident and so ... I don't know. Something about her attracted me more than anything. After the night she left me, I thought it would be a one night stand. But after a few days of not being able to forget about her, I realized that it probably wouldn't be such a one night stand.

And today, when I saw her in Garrett Warren's arms, it was clear to me that I was not the only one who couldn't get her out of her head. Amber Devenport went crazy over the man's head. Too many men.

And I wanted to be the one to drive her head crazy. I know I've done it before and I didn't even want to. But now I wanted it. I don't know what got me into this, but I wanted to be the last man to touch her. A man who will see her every night when she falls asleep and every morning when she wakes up.

Do I still sound like an aśshole?

If so, then I don't know what more to tell you.

I lay on the couch in my apartment, staring at the ceiling.

London is not one of my favorite cities. Still, it's cold and it's constantly raining. But I didn't care. I wanted to be where Amber was.

Am I becoming her stalker?

I don't know what draws me to her like that. But it wasn't just physical.

I have to admit, I felt better with her than with anyone else. Even better than with Christina. Yes, with my sister-in-law and Amber's best friend. Christina was my first big love. And I know I'll regret it forever that I didn't fight for her then. But Christina chose my half-brother, and I really wished them well. Denis was so happy with her and loved her above all. I passed Christina a long time ago.

A part of my heart will always love her. But the other part is already starting to love another woman.

I stood up and went to my study, which looked bizarrely like all my studies in my apartment. All the offices in my apartments around the world were similar. Yes, it's weird, but I liked my stereotype. I am a winemaker, but a writer who lives in me. He can't be silenced. David McBridge lived and breathed inside me. And today I will become David and I will write to the point of exhaustion. I was sure of that.

I sat down in front of the computer and started clicking the black keys. I was starting to write a new book. It was time for Philips to publish my new book.

Nobody knew who David McBridge was. So my family and friends know it. But the public didn't know it. Nobody knows it's Alex Mendez. Denis Philips' half-brother. Everyone only knew me as his brother and an amazing winemaker.

Everyone only knew Alex. No one knew David McBridge. The hopeless romantic who wrote bestselling detective stories with a pinch of romance. And so it must remain.

I wrote for several hours. The chirping of birds woke me from the trance of my writing. I've been writing this for so long. I looked at the ancient watch on the wall and it was four o'clock in the morning.