Thirty first chapter - It's no brother like brother

Graham

I woke up to my ringing phone. It was one o'clock in the morning in New York. My mom called. I knew something was wrong. My mom never called me so late. As soon as I put the phone to my ear, I understood why was she calling.

My brother had an accident. I needed to return to London immediately.

I called a coach who was sleepy, which helped me a lot in talking. It was easier to speak of an almost sleeping person than a person who is fully conscious.

I booked my next first class flight and fled to the airport. I was as on needles all flight and I was constantly looking at my watch. I had to reassure my parents and find out what really happened to my brother.

And I always had one more person in my head. Amber. When Garrett told me the name of the woman he was in love with, I knew it was Linda. I wanted to know if they were dating. Wills he be in a hospital in London and finally find out who I? If yes, she'll find out I didn't invite her for a drink, just because of my brother. But I was mainly afraid of my reaction.

I didn't want to see her cry. My mom didn't explain to me exactly what had happened to Garrett, but it was serious. Mom cried and barely managed to stutter. My father had to explain everything to me, that is, if you consider it an explanation that I should come to London immediately, because my older perfect brother is in the hospital.

But now I had to put my addiction aside and take care of my family. I could only stay in London for a few days and I wasn't sure if it would be resolved in those days.

There was no good news waiting for me at the hospital. A crying mother and a sad father were waiting for me. They both sat in the hallway, in front of one of the best rooms in the hospital, scared. According to the doctor, Garrett was lucky. But he survived it with broken limbs and a great concussion. But the worst part was that they had to put him to artificial sleep.

According to the doctor, he had a good chance of waking up, but he couldn't tell us how long it would take for him to wake up.

Amber wasn't here. No one mentioned her. The paramedics called my mother. But when they gave us Garrett's broken-screen phone, I looked at the locked screen and I realized right away.

He really loved her.

Her photo was spread out on the locked screen. She was sitting thoughtfully in an office chair, in front of the computer.

I looked into the emergency calls and there was a surprise. There was also Amber's number, named Angel.

That got me even more. I knew it was Amber's number because I had her number myself. I tried to come up with a password, but I couldn't. My brother had his date of birth as a password. He always used it as his password, but now it wasn't like that.

I then unblock his cell phone with his fingerprint. When they let us in.

I brought my parents coffee and something to eat from the hospital cafe.

I loved my brother. He was my brother. And no matter how indifferent it looked, he was my brother. I wished him anything bad, even though I sometimes envied his life and everything he ever had. I envied him, too, and Amber. Her love. At this point, however, he might have envied me for being here and lying unconscious on the hospital bed.

They let us in, in three hours.

My non-governmental brother's body lay on the hospital bed. He looked like he was asleep, but he certainly wasn't. It was a harder sleep. He had a few scratches on his face, which upset my mother even more. His always perfectly groomed hair fell into his eyes.