The last light

Do you remember towards the beginning of the story that I said that wolves were my friends? That I'd named them Onyx Nightshade and Poison. Two white ones and one black one. Turns out those were actually their names.

And do you remember me saying or not that they were Pitch's children but they're not evil? Did I even mention that? Or has it been too long and you need to go back and re-read? I know I had to but I still can't remember if I said that last part.

But they were. They've been around a long time. Maybe they knew I'd be an immortal. That there was something special about me. And wanted to keep their eye on me or maybe they had been told to. The story didn't really go the way I planned.

I mean it did for the most part but I'd wanted them to have a bigger role. Or even one at all. But now had I been awake I would've recognized them right away. It was somewhere hidden in the back of my mind. At the tip of my tongue.

Some memory that I didn't need my memories for probably because they were already immortal beings. And maybe my memories with them were different because of it. Jack had seen the memories now and I was unconscious or whatever.

As I laid there in the snow past out. They never wanted to be evil. They were more like their mother. And they're shapeshifters. They helped me sit up. As the one black one Onyx nudged my head up with his horse like snout.

The other two were in their wolf/dog like forms nudging at my feet curled by me trying to help me. I opened my eyes when I felt an animal tongue on my cheek. I know that tongue anywhere. I whispered wiping the spit off my face.

"Hi Onyx, Nightshade, Poison." I greeted them with sign. They still knew the sign I once taught them back in the day. "What are you doing here?" Onyx turned to me but I'd heard what he said through my animal communication that Bunny once taught me a long time ago.

That's a long story. I spoke no more than a whisper to them. I looked over into the hole that Pitch had thrown Jack down and once I turned around they were in human forms. I jumped a little. Wait who are you? I asked them.

Allow us to formally intro ourselves. Because your names for us were ironically correct. You look like Jack and me and Mary Springs. Yeah about that.... We're friends with Jack even though our father is kind of his enemy but we're not evil.

And he's good to only his family. Our mother isn't evil too she's actually the summer spirit and could see the good in him. She wants peace like you. Thinks Pitch is really mostly just misunderstood all he wants is to be believed in.

He wasn't always like this either. But no one ever helped him be anything else. He used to be one of the good guys before grief took him over and the nightmare creatures tricked him. It consumed him and made him who he was.

If anyone cared enough he could probably be turned back with the right kind of support. But only the guardians are powerful enough to do that but they would never help him. Not unless you said so. After all you didn't want him to get hurt.

You don't like anyone getting hurt. And you're afraid to speak more than a whisper or really at all because of your past and you know bad things would happen to you if you didn't obey but you also know North would do whatever his princess wanted.

You have a pure heart and his is corrupted by grief. You might be the only person that CAN help him but you'd need the guardians to help you. What can I do I'm too afraid? I shake my head. We would've talked more if we hadn't seen a bright light.

As Jack came sailing out of the hole. Hey Onyx and sisters. They all group hugged. Good to see you other half. I think you mean opposite. We've been through this Onyx playfully rolled his eyes. Yeah, yeah I know just because your dad is evil doesn't make the rest of you evil.