Life on mars

Kobra's POV

I woke up again, reaching out for them. Nearly two months after they ran away and three weeks of them sleeping in the other room, I just couldn't get used to waking up alone. Y/K/N stopped my nightmares, comforted me without even being conscious. I wish things were like they used to be but all I can do is hope that one day they remember.

Over the last three weeks, we've become close again but they still only remember meeting me when they woke up at the other Killjoys place. We''ll stay up together late into the night some days, just talking about everything and anything. It's extremely rare that they ask a question that I can't answer.

When I woke up, it was the middle of the night. Maybe two or three in the morning. Fuck it, I wasn't going back to sleep so I walked downstairs with no idea what my intentions were. Maybe just sit there until the other guys got up and pretend I'd only been awake for half an hour or whatever. They don't need to worry about me not sleeping. That's my problem, not theirs.

Y/K/N was sat on the sofa. "Can't sleep?" I asked, sitting next to them.
"Keep getting these fucking dreams about Korse. You?"
"Same." We were in silence for a few minutes. "Get them often? Or is this the first time?" I asked. We'd both had nightmares frequently before, I just expected theirs to stop after they forgot everything.

"Often. Almost every night. You?"
"Pretty much every night too. Really fucked with us, didn't he?" They didn't actually know but they nodded. I'd told them about what he did.

We sat in silence for a little while longer until I decided that I wanted to show them something. "Hey, there's this place... We used to hang out there when we wanted to get away from everyone. I can show you, if you want?" They nodded. "Okay, follow me." We both stood up and began walking up the stairs. "You can't tell anyone, especially Ghoul." I grinned, they did too.
"I won't."

We walked into my bedroom and I closed the door. "So- uh, when I open my window, theres two brick missing in the wall. One next to the window and then one to the right a little higher. If you step onto the lower one then you can drag yourself up with the other one. Want me to show you?" They nodded and I opened the window before standing on my bed and ducking under the glass so that I could get out. Once I was on the roof, they copied me.

They reached up to me so I grabbed their hand and pulled them up. "Thanks." We were both sat on the roof. They looked out to the desert. "Look at that view." I smiled- they did not notice.
"One of the reasons we used to hang out up here all the time. And to get away from the noise." I pointed up so they looked. The skies were clear and the stars looked even more beautiful than usual. I haven't been up here since they ran away. I couldn't.

They lied back so I did too. "I think that ones mars." They pointed up but I couldn't tell which one they were talking about. "The kind of red one." They moved closer to me so that our arms were touching and they pointed up with the other one. I nodded. Before they ran away, we used to casually touch like this all the time. It was comforting and gentle. I miss it.

"Oh yeah." They stayed next to me. Our arms were touching. At that moment, I couldn't really focus on mars, or anything really. Just them. Knowing that they feel comfortable enough around me to lay like this is one of the best things that's happened in a long time. They're so gentle and soft, I wish we could just lie together like this for the rest of our lives.

"What do you think it'd be like? Just to be up there, Living on mars." I started listening again, still feeling some sort of happy high.
"It'd be pretty cool. Just getting to bounce around and hang out with aliens."
"You think aliens are real?" Y/K/N asked. I made a "hmm" noise in reply. There's gotta be something out there.

"But Jet doesn't which I think is pretty dumb. Do you?" Y/K/N nodded.
"Yeah, they've gotta be."
"You should tell Jet. I mean, it's not like he's the space genius or anything." They giggled, I smiled. We were back to silence, just looking at the stars.

"Hey did you see that?" They pointed up, grinning.
"What?" I looked around.
"Shooting star." I missed it.

After another couple minutes of silence they spoke again. "Do you think I'll ever get my memory back?" They asked. "And remember everything?"
"I hope you do." I had no way of knowing, only staying optimistic.
"Thank you... For helping me with everything." Tears were forming in their eyes. When they noticed that I saw, they sat up "Sorry..."

"Hey, it's okay." I turned to face them a little.
"I just wish I could remember something... Anything about you. Something that you haven't had to tell me again."
"You will." I reassured them and sat up before pulling them into a hug. They didn't say no, or pull away this time. They leaned into me and cried into my chest.

I began crying too. What I would give for them to get their memory back. We just stayed there, feeling like a complete mess. It was only a few minutes later when we pulled apart from the hug, and it was obvious that we had been crying. When they managed to calm down a little, they looked around the roof. Maybe trying to remember, maybe just looking around.

They stopped looking after a second and stared at the vents on the roof. There were two. One that was still working and connected, and another one that had a hole in it somewhere inside. It had broken before we claimed that place as our home. "Wait..." They stood up and ran over to them, looking from one to another for a second. Did they remember? Can they remember what we hid in the broken one?

They slowly began moving their hands over to the one that wasn't broken before shaking their head and resting them at their sides again. "Ohh, I think..." They pulled the top off the broken one and smiled. "Holy shit!" They could see the mini shrine that we made for Billy Corgan. It was mostly just a pile of broken beyond repair cassette tapes with smashing pumpkins lyrics painted onto their outsides. There were some used candles that did still work surrounding the casettes and an action figure that Y/K/N had painted to slightly resemble Billy, which was once Spiderman, sat on top of the cassettes.

"Did you..." There were tears in their eyes as they nodded.
"I knew we hid something in there. I didn't know what but I think I can remember!" Holy fucking shit. They remembered. They remembered. This incredible. They remembered. We hugged again, this time the tears were happy though.

"We should tell the others." I pulled away first, ready to go dive on everyone else as they slept and slap them in the face with this fucking incredible news.
"Maybe not right now. I don't wanna wake them up." There was something else, but I wasn't gonna mention it. "Could we stay up here for a while longer?"
"Sure," I smiled. We both lied down again and watched the stars. Again, I couldn't focus on the stars. As beautiful as they were, all I could think of was Y/K/N. They remembered something. Something that may have seemed like just a joke, our little secret but it was big.

We were back to silence, but they were curled up next to me, watching the sky. My eyes began to feel heavy so I just allowed them to close. The world could not have felt more perfect within that moment.