5

"Where is she?" Ryan asked as he almost ran into the hospital and found Jay.

"They just took her up for surgery. Internal bleed" Jay told him calmly, "said it'll be 2 to 3 hours. Maybe more but at least 2 before she's out. The doctor said anytime from 4:30 to 6:30 is what they're estimating."

Ryan nodded and sat down with his head in his hands, scared for his wife. He hated how they left things. The couple rarely got mad or argued, even when they did, they never went to bed angry with each other. They always talked it out and everything was fine.

Jay went and found Will in the ED, getting his attention as he walked back. "What are you doing here?"

"Lace is in surgery. Internal bleeding," Jay spoke, Will's eyes going wide.

"What happened?" Will asked immediately, setting the tablet down on the counter and turning his full attention to Jay.

"I wasn't there. But I guess she got hit by a car and refused to come in." Jay explained, looking out at Ryan. "Apparently She and Ryan argued and he's beating himself up now."

"I'll let you know if I hear anything. Who got her?" Will asked, turning back to Jay.

"Dr. Scott was the only one available," Jay told him, getting a nod from Will again. He then headed back out and sat with Ryan.

"Can one of you go get the baby?" Ryan asked after a few moments of silence, and Hailey was all over it. Ryan handed over the keys to his truck so she had the car seat base. "You went with Lace earlier right?"

"Yeah, car seat is in the closet by the baby room door. Code to get in is Riley's birthday. Leave everything cop-wise in the truck and have my license." Hailey rattled off, going over everything they'd told her and Jay before.

"Thank you" Ryan nodded, watching Hailey leave and sitting back again waiting on news with Jay. He then remembered to send a quick message to her teacher to let her know that Hailey would be picking up instead of them.

Ryan Davis: Hi Miss Dani. Riley's Aunt, Hailey Halstead, is on her way to get her. She may or may not be back this week.

Miss Dani: Thanks for letting us know. Is everything okay?

Ryan Davis: My wife got hurt at work, depending on how she is tomorrow we'll decide.

Miss Dani: Oh no! I'm so sorry. Her aunt just got here. Let us know if we can do anything.

Ryan Davis: thank you.

As soon as he closed the message he saw it come up in Riley's feed.

Riley Davis was signed out by Hailey Halstead (5:19 PM)

Ryan smiled a little, knowing their little one was in good hands.
When Riley had been born, Ryan and Lacey had to add to their will. In the case that anything happened to them, Jay and Hailey got Riley.

As soon as he looked up, he saw Hailey coming in with the car seat holding the sleeping baby girl and the diaper bag that she set in front of Ryan.

"Sleeping when you got there?" He asked, looking over as Hailey sat down on the other side of Jay.

"Nope. Fell asleep in the truck" she smiled, looking up as the doctor came out. Ryan immediately stood up, hoping for good news from the doctor.