10

That night, they had all decided to go out and have one night with their own little families to do whatever. As much as they loved being together as a family, they needed time with their own families.

Will and his girls met Emily and her son at the pier for the rides and games. Jay and Hailey went to a really nice restaurant and then for a walk on the beach. Lacey and Ryan decided to order in and have a picnic on the beach before some swimming and sitting in the hot tub at their rental house.

Soon after everyone arrived back home, the kids went to bed and the grown-ups stayed downstairs having a few drinks and talking. No mentions of work, just family, futures, and the plans for the next day.

"How'd it go with Emily?" Jay was the first to ask the question on everyone's mind.

"She's a lot different than the 20-something-year-old version of her I knew before," Will smiled, waiting for the chance to talk about it.

"Oh yeah? Better or worse?" Lacey asked, taking a sip of the amaretto sour that Ryan had made for her.

"Much better. Settled down." Will nodded, sipping his beer.

"Think it'll go anywhere?" Jay asked, will hesitated before nodding.

Jay and Lacey shared one look, both happy for their brother. Maybe this was his one, they could only hope.

——————

Everyone was assumed to be sleeping at 4 am when Riley woke up screaming, making both Lacey and Ryan groan. The baby was having a particularly rough night because of the tooth attempting to pop through her tiny gums.

"I got her. You got up with her last time," Lacey yawned, sliding out from under the warm covers and picking their daughter up, "Riley, it's 4 in the morning babe, mommy and daddy need you to sleep. It'll help you feel better baby," She whispered, kissing her head as she headed down the steps quietly. She was a little surprised to see the TV on and her older brother on one of the couches.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" Jay asked, seeing her come down before seeing Riley in her arms, "She not having a good night?"

"No. Ryan and I have been up a lot with her. I think she's just teething and uncomfortable." Lacey sighed, handing her into Jay's outstretched arms. "What are you doing up?"

"Just am. Voight waking us up at all hours has me up around 4 all the time." Jay chuckled, rubbing his crying nieces back as Lacey got the pacifier out of the freezer. They'd already used the Orajel an hour ago and it helped but only for a short time.

"Yeah I get that," Lacey sighed, handing him the chilled pacifier to hopefully soothe her daughter's little mouth. The crying slowly died down and Riley snuggled up against her uncle while Lacey sat on the couch opposite to Jay's. They watched some random episode of "Last Man Standing" as Lacey dozed off.

"Keeping mommy up at all hours? Good job kid," Jay chuckled, pulling the swaddling blanket over the baby girl in his arms. It didn't take long for the baby to also fall asleep against her uncle's chest with the cold pacifier in her mouth.

——————

In the morning, Lacey was sound asleep on the couch as well as Jay with Riley. Ryan came down eventually waking up and rolling over to an empty bed on his wife's side. He headed down, figuring they were up for coffee, and found the 2 sound asleep. Will was already up and his girls were already swimming in the pool since it was their last day of vacation. He got his coffee and went outside, joining his brother-in-law as he watched his kids in the pool.