19

"Hey guys," Ryan stood up as Jay and Hailey came to Lacey's hospital room in the morning. It was close to 10 AM and visiting hours had just started, and it just so happened that they were questioning a suspect.

"Hey, how's she doing?" Hailey asked, looking over to her sister-in-law who was still sleeping.

"Finally stopped shivering. She was shaking against me until about 8:30," He sighed, letting Lacey sleep, "Hopefully she'll go home today. My biggest concern is her head, they think she hit the concrete pretty hard,"

"Riley?" Jay asked, sitting with both Ryan and Hailey.

"Trudy and Mouch had her overnight and dropped her off at daycare this morning. Her car?"

"Past totaled. Voight said they're looking into getting her something new," Hailey told him, knowing she loved the Edge. She'd had it for a few years and never wanted to switch it out.

"What are they looking at?"

"No clue," Hailey shrugged but hoped it would be a good and safe car.

"As long as it's safe-" Ryan started to say as they heard Lacey start to move and whimper in her sleep. "Lace? Lacey wake up, it's not real babe," Lacey's eyes shot open as she tried to sit up, still a little disoriented from the nightmares.

"Hey. Hey. It's me. It's me. You're in the hospital, you're safe. Go back to sleep," he whispered, calming her down. He kissed her forehead gently and watched her fall back into sleep. "All she wants to do is sleep,"

"That's what she needs," Jay smiled slightly, "We gotta go. We'll check in later, hopefully when she's awake,"

"Yeah, thanks for coming by." Ryan smiled, nodding and rubbing the back of his neck. It'd been a long night.

A while later, Lacey's phone was vibrating with a text from Voight.

Hank Voight: Any ideas for the new car? Edge was totaled out.

Ryan sighed and picked up her phone, seeing the text and looking over at Lacey. He knew she wanted something safe and probably bigger, so while she slept he texted him back. Lacey also didn't care when he would text people on her phone (even her boss), she trusted him.

Lacey: Hey, It's Ryan. Lacey is sound asleep. She loved her Edge but has mentioned wanting something a bit bigger. Not a fan of the new Explorers, but does like the newer Chevy Traverse. As long as it's safe for her and Riley.

Hank Voight: Okay. How is she?

Lacey: Not terrible, not great. Finally stopped shivering this morning, they're watching for a fever. Other than that, just really sleepy and pissed she can't sleep on her side. Hoping she can get home later today.

He sighed and set his wife's phone down, leaning back as he watched her.

——————

They released Lacey that evening, Ryan pulling up the truck before he helped her out of the hospital. Getting in the truck was not the easiest as it was a step up and her ribs didn't like that movement.

"You okay?" Ryan asked, noticing the look on her face as she got comfortable in the seat.

"Yeah, just hurt a little. Come on, let's get home," she yawned, eager to be in her own bed and surrounded by her own stuff.