t w e n t y - t w o

Author's note: sorry for the long wait!  The acad year just ended for me but expect more updates on this book and my other ongoing books starting this week <33

"I have something for you. Don't open it until I say so. Promise me, okay?"

Those were the words you told Inui before releasing yourself from the hug in which he enveloped you. He watched you walk slowly and carefully towards the drawer near your bed and bring out what seemed to be a small (f/c) envelope.

You placed it gingerly on his palm. Inui glossed over the concealed envelope's surface and flipped it over to see if there was something written on it—nothing. However, whatever was inside of it was a small rectangular item about a couple of centimeters thick.

He looked at Kokonoi who seemed to have a rather disturbing expression, his eyes not making contact with Inui's inquisitive eyes.

Albeit curious about what was inside the envelope and his desperate urge to rip it open, he wanted to respect your wishes. Hence, he immediately tucked it away in his bag. When he was about to turn to face you, he was greeted by another gift from you. But this time, instead of being confused by what you had in your hand, Inui's lips curved into a smile.

"Ta-da!" you said, lifting your hands to your face, presenting the two similar-looking crochet beanies. You gave your boyfriend the light-colored one that matched the color of his hair, while you held on to the (f/c) one.

You had made this a few months ago, back before you knew of your sickness. Back when you still had the strength to create something. This pair you made with the thought of him and you in mind.

You never imagined that you would have to wear this under such circumstances.

"Bow your head a bit, I want to put it on you."

He complied and crouched down to your level. You put it on him, and you also put yours.

He tilted his head upwards, facing you and your bright eyes and sweet smile, "Now we match!" you chirped.

He chuckled softly feeling a bit out of himself, maybe because he momentarily felt entranced by you? He didn't know, he just found himself dazed.

"I guess we do"

"Let's go somewhere! Let's show everyone our couple hats!"

Inui nodded, honestly feeling kind of relieved seeing how enthusiastic you were being albeit still feeling unsteady about what had happened until this moment. He forced a smile, "I'd like that. Let's go."

♡♡♡