04: The Kind Professor

CHAPTER FOUR❊❊❊❊❊❊❊ _____________________________________

CHAPTER FOUR
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

THREE WEEKS ON AND DANA STILL hadn't found a reason to skip a single Defence lesson. It surprised no one more than it did her, and she realised that she rather liked the subject after all— it was just the teachers that had been shitty. For the sake of those returning to Hogwarts next year, Dana hoped the infamous jinx of the job post would lift, and it appeared that most students seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

Well, everyone apart from Patrick. Though most things Paddy said were only for the sake of being a massive wind up.

They were lounging around in the common room one evening beside the fire, catching up on Astronomy homework. Having already finished it earlier that afternoon, Dana sat reading her book, wishing she had packed a few more with her. It was criminal that the library didn't bother to stock muggle books.

A pack of Every Flavour Beans lay open next to her and she picked one up every now and then to fling in Paddy's direction. Each time he managed to catch one in his mouth, the common room would erupt in cheers.

They were lame, for sure. But they embraced it.

"Just hear me out! I'm not saying he's a bad teacher. But if you ask me, there's something off about him." Patrick said, chewing away. "Jesus, Dane— you really are a cow." he added, grimacing when he realised he was eating rotten egg flavour.

To be fair, Dana didn't normally go off of first impressions. She thought Patrick was a little shit when she first met him, and they still ended up being best friends. But this time, she wasn't so sure.

"I give him six months."

"Dana!" Lilith rebuked.

"What?" she answered blithely. "They never last."

"She's right. He might even conk it by Christmas." egged on Paddy, merely trying to wind Lilith up for the sake of it now. Dana suppressed a smirk and turned the page of her book.

Lilith groaned in response, "Will you both pack it in? Just because the other DA professors have been questionable, doesn't mean he will be."

"Alright, alright. When he turns out to be a loon or a sociopath, I'll be sure to tell you I told you so." said Patrick smugly, holding his hands in surrender.

Immediately, Lilith began throwing beans at his head, to which he found thoroughly amusing and cackled like a child. When everyone eventually went back to their homework, Dana carried on reading. She might not have cared about her professor's fate at the time, but she soon would.

❊❊❊

Wednesday posed a relatively sound morning, with first period bringing the seventh years out into the Forest with Hagrid, who had told them all he would be introducing them to a very special creature. Most likely illegal, given his track record. Still, Care of Magical Creatures had always been a favourite of Dana's, and she hoped to get a career based on it one day after leaving Hogwarts.