15: Home Again

CHAPTER FIFTEEN❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

         SEVEN DAYS HAD FLITTERED BY since Dana had left Hogwarts, and she was quite sure she had already gone mad. Being stuck at home in the company of her mother was challenging at the best of times, but being left to drown in a whirlpool of her own thoughts only made it far worse.

Remus Lupin. The man drove her crazy.

His touch, his smell, his taste— the way in which he leant into her at that first initial moment, arching down to reach her lips with such raw desperation. There wasn't a second thought between them as they held onto one another, refusing to think of the consequences ahead of them as though nothing else mattered.

Did he regret what happened?

It was impossible to know, and the unknown is exactly what haunted Dana. She had never been so out of her depth before, feeling as though she were being pulled further and further out to sea by a strong tide, unable to swim. At first, she struggled. And then, when she soon realised there was nothing she could do but wait for the storm to pass, she decided to lie back and float against the waves.

In other words— she would deal with it when she returned back to school.

At home, she and Cedric managed their time wisely. They made full use of their broomsticks in the open garden; played countless wizard board games, to which they would constantly accuse the other of cheating; and hung out in their small outback house, drinking copious amounts of mulled cider against their parents' better knowledge.

One late afternoon, Dana arrived back at the cottage after a lengthy walk by the river that ran through their village, sick of being stuck under one small roof.

She tugged at the hood of her jacket and shook the rain off before entering the kitchen to find Cedric doing the washing up whilst their mother made dinner. A waft of what smelt like chicken casserole drifted through the room, and Dana tried not to pull a face. Lyra wasn't exactly known for her cooking skills— which is probably why they were all looking forward to Molly's Christmas dinner.

Opposite them all, Amos Diggory was stood against the countertop in his work robes, reading through paperwork. It would appear he had only just got home himself.

"Daniela Diggory— what time do you call this?" her mother frowned, chopping up vegetables freely with her wand. "I told you to be back by four."

Dana distractedly murmured an apology, having poorly attempted to creep in unnoticed.

"Where've you been?" Cedric whispered, accidentally splashing soapy water everywhere as he turned. "I can smell the beer and cigarettes a mile off you."