12: Alone in the Astronomy Tower

CHAPTER TWELVE❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER TWELVE
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

DANA STALKED OVER TO THE EDGE of the Astronomy Tower and kicked her foot against the railings. The clang of metal echoed around her and she heaved a sigh. The place was completely vacant, a silent haven she often used to escape the mayhem of everyday life.

She brought the bottle of Firewhisky to her lips, hazily looking out into the darkness which now engulfed the school grounds. The landscape was perfectly still in the breezeless night and her eyes hovered over by the Black Lake where she spotted something lurking in the distance.

A dark mass pranced around, it's blurred shadow almost completely submerged in the opaqueness of the night. It was then that Dana slowly drew back the bottle, narrowing her eyes.

Since when did a Hogwarts allow dogs as pets?

Just as she leant further over the barrier to better explore her curiosity of the animal, she was instantly startled by a noise behind her and jumped, slopping a drop of whisky onto the floor. When she whipped around, she could see that a misty blue glow had been issued from a wand tip over by the lower platform of the Tower, lighting up her nearby surroundings.

Dana squinted down at the brightness, "Ada Marshall, if that's you, I swear to Godric, I'll—"

"I am afraid I must disappoint you, Miss Diggory." Lupin answered instead, lowering the end of his wand so that she could finally see his face.

Though he was still partially hidden by the shadows, she could see that the professor was stood with his hands tucked comfortably into his pockets. It would seem that he had been in the Tower the entire time.

"Merlin's balls." Dana screwed up her nose. Not again. "I think that'll be my cue to leave."

She poorly attempted to tip toe off, barely making it to the exit of the Tower before she stumbled and Lupin practically had to lunge forward to steady her.

"Easy." he said, his hands holding her arms to rebalance her. "Dana— are you drunk?"

As he analysed her face, she remained still.

Her dark eyes were smoky, her lips red. A black leather jacket was draped over the dips in her shoulders, a line of tassels running down the sleeves of the very arms that he was currently gripping to keep her up. Dana couldn't help but stare at his mouth and he, too, was barely able to draw his gaze away from her.

"Don't make me lie." she blinked, their faces incredibly close. "I don't like lying to you."

Dana could hear the rhythm of his breathing and the thudding of her own heartbeat. Her head spun wildly and Lupin eventually cleared his throat, allowing his grip on her to loosen.