08: A Night Cap in the Great Hall

CHAPTER EIGHT❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER EIGHT
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

      WHEN EARLY EVENING ARRIVED, Dana and the others eventually stumbled out of the Three Broomsticks and back up to the Castle in a disreputable manner, raiding the kitchens before heading upstairs to sleep off their sore heads. Patrick thought it would be a smart idea to suggest switching from Butterbeer to Firewhisky at two o'clock in the afternoon, by which point, he was a complete mess.

The next morning when Dana awoke, she found Lilith half hanging out of bed, dozing with her mouth open and hair sprawled across her face. Dana could only imagine that she looked just as rough, and when she made it to the bathroom a short while later, it was to find that her makeup was wildly smudged across her eyes with her hair in a tangled mess. Her head throbbed and she headed back to bed.

The following night was Halloween, and Dana, Lilith and Patrick were lounging around in the deserted common room, treating themselves to a night off of their awaiting responsibilities. The rest of the school were all currently in the Great Hall enjoying the Halloween feast, meaning they had the run of the place for at least an hour. As much as they had been wanting to join, they found themselves too drained to move— let alone eat.

It wasn't exactly authorised, but the chances of their absence being noticed by the staff was next to none.

"Lilith, change the station, will you?" Dana called, fully outstretched on the worn out couch.

The common room radio had been playing an array of questionable music for some time now, yet Lilith remained staring into space as she had been caught doing on a regular basis, failing to even bat an eyelid. A copy of The Quibbler was held open in her hands, but she didn't appear to be reading it at all.

Dana waved at her like an idiot for the best part of two minutes until Lilith eventually came out of her trance and fiddled with the dials of the radio. One of Dana's favourite singles by the Weird Sisters tuned in mid song, but she wasn't really listening anymore.

Despite knowing she should leave it, Dana turned to her, "Lil, are you ever going to tell us what's going on with you? I'm starting to worry that you're totally losing it."

The pattering of the rain from outside hit against the window rhythmically, dulling the sound of the crackling fire. A blank look remained on Lilith's face and it would appear that she was debating whether or not to open up. Although they were the only people in the whole of the Tower, she glanced around the common room to make sure they were definitely alone before closing the magazine with an air of gloominess.

"It's my dad." she said, barely above a whisper.

Dana looked to her in bewilderment, not having expected an actual answer. Lilith never talked about Fergus. After all, she got enough unwanted attention being the only Metamorphmagus in the school and didn't fancy any more regarding her father's reputation.